Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

Default Decisions decisions

I am off on boat from Sat. Initially heading to Ramsgate then need to choose S&W - Boulogne / Dieppe / Fecamp etc OR N&E Gravelines / Dunkirk / Oostende etc.

BUT I have been invited out to dinner at a very nice resturant in Calais on Fri 23 evening and need to be there for weekend anyway.

So when are these Easterlies going to end? It would be great to go downwind to Fecamp but I really dont fancy the long slog back. If I go N&E will it turn round and head me on the way back too?

Who has a crystal ball?

Default Re: Decisions decisions

That nice man Mr Keeling. Looks like there is an Atlantic depression working its way towards the UK middle of next week. It may at least slacken the Easterly flow for a bit.

PS Ramsgate is dire, better off pressing on to Dover.

Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

[ QUOTE ]
    Ramsgate is dire, better off pressing on to Dover.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agree. All depends if I get away in time to catch enough South going off N Foreland and I don't like the sea you can get going into Dover - well the once I did it!

The sea off the entrance to Ramsgate can be horrible - mainly because there is basically a big trench dug across the main flow. Dover entrance at least has the advantage of being substantial. Marina staff friendlier too.

Just watch the tidal streams running across the entrance into Dover though.
    Life is just far far too short.
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/pipedreamii/

Bit surprised at all this anti-Ramsgate stuff. OK it's not wonderful in many ways, but it's not that bad, what's more there are some good eateries and the club is very welcoming too.
    Given the choice I'm sure I'd rather do Ramsgate than Dover, with all that stress entering and leaving. Never found Ramsgate's entrance a problem. Dover's noisy too with all the trucks charging past the marina, but I've not sampled many eateries (only the one on the end of that twee De Bradlei shopping place thing, and although good it's getting on the pricey side).