Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    stingo is offline Registered User

Default Defense against pirates

My neighbour at the yacht club has suggested that when you're being followed/chased by a suspect boat, you let out a few hundred metres of nylon line that has say, 30 metres of thin-ish rigging wire on the end. The logic being that a chasing boat will come up from behind and his prop will wind the nylon line in until the wire gets there, which will then stuff his prop up and hopefully stop his engines.

What does the panel think?

Chrusty1 Guest

Default Re: Defense against pirates

Oh great idea.........you will still be in very effective range of an AK47! After they have filled you full of holes, they can then just haul themselves along the line or paddle to your boat.

I believe that the evidence suggests from recent attacks (with Pirates specifically) that, if a passive role is adopted, it is unlikely that you will get hurt.

Showing up resistance is likely to put you in far greater
    danger.

Once they're snagged on your line, you cut it so that it will wind up on their prop without any resistance.

By the way, you will still be in effective range of an AK47 with or without some line of defence.

[ QUOTE ]
    Showing up resistance is likely to put you in far greater
    danger.

[/ QUOTE ]It is unlikely that the pirates will associated you with the wire and will probably think that they had had the misfortune of simply running over some fishing gear.

Chrusty1 Guest

Quite frankly, the best way IMHO to deal with pirates is, as has already been said, is to adopt a passive role and give them what they want, you are less likely to get hurt that way, the only other way is to have effective firepower aboard and be willing to use it, but I seriously would not recommend it, for all the reasons that have been well discussed on here and other sites before, if you do fight, and you loose, you are dead meat.

steveallan is offline Registered User

Only effective defence is to keep away from areas where they operate. If large merchant ships cannot defend themselves against pirates what chance would a small yacht have. Also how do you tell the difference between a fishing vessel and a pirate vessel before it is too late to take action.

Chrusty1 Guest

"how do you tell the difference between a fishing vessel and a pirate vessel before it is too late to take action."

Och! that's easy, the pirates are the ones flying the skull and crossbones! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    My neighbour at the yacht club has suggested that when you're being followed/chased by a suspect boat, you let out a few hundred metres of nylon line that has say, 30 metres of thin-ish rigging wire on the end. The logic being that a chasing boat will come up from behind and his prop will wind the nylon line in until the wire gets there, which will then stuff his prop up and hopefully stop his engines.

What does the panel think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many years ago when I was a baby Policeman I was told by people who had been there that when confronted with an armed man you do as you are told up to the point where you are about to be shot.At that stage you have nothing to lose.I would suggest that this advice holds good in the scenario you describe.

Some years later I was on a sabbatical and working as a deck hand on a large yacht.The owner had an Armalite rifle and hand gun on board.On discovering I was firearms trained he suggested I teach the rest of the crew how to use these weapons.I refused and suggested he chuck the guns overboard.We parted company not long after that. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    "I have lived in your future ….and it doesn’t work”
    ( Vladimir Bukovsky on the EU)

They'll soon get wise to it, so it might work once for one yacht but then they'll take avoiding action in future encounters, which will just leave you dragging your much needed speed down.