Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Dangerous Boat Yards

That's why I like boatyards; because they aren't sterile, rule-heavy environments.
    Live and let live. Don't turn the UK into even more of a UK of A.

I hate all this rule stuff, all this stupid putting up of railings on clifftops etc. Let humans decide if they are dumb enough to walk on broken glass or fall off pontoons.
    "Only The Educated Is Free"

What pray did I do to warrant that little vitriolic outburst? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vitriol not intended, point I was making was that we should not hesitate to put things right, the examples are never ending where people have said things after the event, I bet you could name a few yourself.

The quiet word is never easy and often not well recieved, unless you know the owner to be a fair person it takes a lot to risk the abuse.

Cheap moorings are attractive but for me not at the risk of someones health and safety, I take my seven year old sailing and have had my 10 week old niece on my boat if they were injured for the sake of a few bucks...... Well?

As for calling in big brother, we are not in a totalitarian state, these organisations not only protect our interests they do also offer help and advice; if your yard got an enforcement notice to clean up their act that can only be a good thing, if they had a visit and were told they could find nothing wrong this will also not be a bad thing and the yard owner won't be charged.

So perhaps not vitriolic but to the point, apologies if it was too blunt the written word does not always come across with the same intention as speech.

Chrusty1 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    That's why I like boatyards; because they aren't sterile, rule-heavy environments.
    Live and let live. Don't turn the UK into even more of a UK of A.

I hate all this rule stuff, all this stupid putting up of railings on clifftops etc. Let humans decide if they are dumb enough to walk on broken glass or fall off pontoons.

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings exactly.............but alas these days nanny knows best, and we all must be protected from ourselves.......mustn't we?

Old fashioned boatyards of the kind I remember from my youth, are in my opinion, a treasure to find these days. I don't much care for Marinas, I care even less for their fancy prices and fancy ideas!

I suppose it all depends which side of the fence you are on. Occasionally my work is hazardous, working on roofs, or in confined spaces or in buildings with asbestos present. These 'big brother' rules as you call them have given people like me the power to say 'no' if we are told to do something dangerous. Employers have traditionally not given a toss and asked/ordered employees to do some unbelievable dangerous things.

A boat yard can be traditional and safe. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. I'd think the true distinction is between well managed and badly managed. I beleive there was a case recently where a migrant worker in England was burned to death welding in a yacht hull. The photo of the yacht exploding was caught on CCTV...but what the hell, they are only rules.

Now when your daughter/ grand daughter treads on soemething that goes through her foot and gets infected, then it will be a different matter for you I suspect.

I'm in support of sensible HS rules. I've seen the other side.

Tim

Chrusty1 Guest

No problem! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]........I do understand your point of view, but I feel that if a facility is not to your liking, maybe you should perhaps consider moving to one that is? Dogwatch made a few useful suggestions, that could maybe lead to a happy settlement of the situation? I do feel that it is up to all of us to be aware of our environment and behave accordingly, you have the advantage of me though in that you seem to know which yard we are talking about, I still maintain that a quiet friendly word or an offer to get the boat owners together (as Dogwatch suggested) and have a bit of a tidy up, might not be as fraut or as difficult as you imagine?

have a word with the manager in private, make a suggestion, he/she may not be aware of the prob.
    if you don't like the answer you can then either tell others or leave.

Chrusty1 Guest

Hi Tim,

Whilst I can sympathise with most of what you say, I still feel that as boat owners, we should take responsibility for ourselves. Employees are a different matter, and employers have a duty of care to their employees, on the other hand, employees have a duty of care to their employers, in that they should endevour to carry out their work in a safe and proper manner, and also do their best to maintain their work areas in a clean and safe condition. All this is nothing new, it was being drummed into me when I was an apprentice some 60 odd years ago! Long before the H&SE was even a dribble down somebodies leg! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My main point in this discussion, is that communication carried out in a friendly and non confrontational manner, between the customers and the management of the boatyard, could have the desired result, without resorting to "going behind peoples backs", and bringing in the authorities, which I have to say, could well result in a situation developing that is not desirus to either party?

But the other point to the debate which shouldn't go amiss is that the guilty party is the negligent boat yard owner.

If someone doesn't feel comfortable confronting the owner they should not hesitate to contact the local authority or the HSE.

The terms snitch, grass, tell tale belong to the school yard, if someone gets injured because firstly the owner was unapproachable then secondly peer pressure said grassing is a bad thing then who is to blame, the person who did or said nothing, the owner or both.

It is not grassing, it is being a responsible member of the community and I will applaud the reporters.

Just to emphasise the guilty one is the negligent yard owner this should not be forgotten.

Followed closely by those that ignore the issue.

Report it!! No debate!! Then sleep at night.

oldharry is online now Registered User

If all the owners voted with their feet and went somewhere else....

Do others feel as you do? Or would you be running a one man crusade - in which case you would probably be forced to move anyway.

But running off to big brother without trying to sort it locally first is as others have commented typical of the 'modern' mentality and will almost certainly mean the you will lose your cheap moorings when 'they' close it down. Also the time and money the yard owner would have to invest will reflect in the size of your bills.

There is such a thing as shooting yourself in the foot....

Irresponsible of the owner/manager? Yes. But he remains in business because presumably the bulk of his customers are happy to live with his mess at his prices. If there has already been an injury, then presumably the injured party did not claim against the yard insurance? Why not? Thats what it is there for. Assuming he IS insured it would be a very strange company who did not investigate such a claim and insist on things being sorted as a future condition of insurance. And if he doesnt then he is probably trading illegally anyway. If anyone is paid to work there then he must have employers insurance, by law.

But whichever way, if you do stir it up, there will be no more cheap moorings.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Chrusty1 we have differed in the past, but we do agree on many issues - this included
    'Reinstate MadFrankie'

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast