Thread: satellite tv

Hybrid View

castlevar is offline Registered User

Default satellite tv

hi
    is there any one out there in med or portugal using a tv dish.
    i have seen advertised in american mags a tracking unit for dishes are they any good or has any one any suggestions.
    regards geoff

geoff
    geoff

Default Re: satellite tv

I know of at least 6 people in Gelves, and several others on my way up the W Med who were using satellite dishes with total success.
    The dishes were invariably mounted ashore or on the pontoon - boat movement causes far to much loss of signal.
    I would have thought that you would only need to use a satellite tracking dish if you inteded to view TV under way (as Inmarsat).

hi charles
    i was hoping to use it on a mooring this is a not too expensive tracking system geoff

geoff
    geoff

stefan_r is offline Registered User

Default Glomex

Glomex are bringing out a new satellite dish that can be used while (gently) underway. I has the gyro auto lockon and all that gubbins.

It is being released in the UK at the boat show and will be about 600 including decoder (decoders are about 300 anyway).

I have a PDF of the specs somewhere but if it works this is what I am going to go for....dimensions are about 500mmx600mm high if I remember right.

mailto: stefan@athito.com
    South Coast to Greece delivery trip - Mochi 46 Flybridge:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...an//page//vc/1

Default Re: Glomex

thanks will investigate glomex geoff

geoff
    geoff

Let me know what you can find out about it, I'll have a lok at it at the boat show, but 600 squids is a lot of money still!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Didn't see anything at the show, apart from very expensive, but a can confirm a 30cm dish is too small for spain, you need a 60cm one, which works fine! The dishes are cheap enough! About 25 euros down there.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ref trackimg system i have heard that you have to use a large dish in the med is this true if so possibly fitting a rail mounted tracking unit might be the answer as supplied by follow me company www.follow-me-tv.com the price is $830 approx
    geoff
    ps not on boat at present home in ireland for xmas

geoff
    geoff

As a point of interest I can mention that I have used a satellite dish (large) fixed mounted on my charter yacht in Norway with complete success. Admittedly I moor alongside at the same spot as I come and go with my charter parties, but still, I find the directional stability of the signal quite flexible. I bought a handy little gadget you hook up between the antennae cable and the dish to tune the signal visually as well as audiably.

I remember with amusement some years ago fitting a small TV antennae to the tiller which had a small autopilot fitted. When at anchor, I just set the course in the direction of the strongest TV signal and the autopilot did the rest, swingeing with the tide.

Sinbad the Sailor

An aerial on an auto-pilot. Pure genius!

A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a Unicorn