Thread: satellite tv

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default satellite tv

hi
    is there any one out there in med or portugal using a tv dish.
    i have seen advertised in american mags a tracking unit for dishes are they any good or has any one any suggestions.
    regards geoff

geoff
    geoff

Default Re: satellite tv

I know of at least 6 people in Gelves, and several others on my way up the W Med who were using satellite dishes with total success.
    The dishes were invariably mounted ashore or on the pontoon - boat movement causes far to much loss of signal.
    I would have thought that you would only need to use a satellite tracking dish if you inteded to view TV under way (as Inmarsat).

hi charles
    i was hoping to use it on a mooring this is a not too expensive tracking system geoff

geoff
    geoff

Default Glomex

Glomex are bringing out a new satellite dish that can be used while (gently) underway. I has the gyro auto lockon and all that gubbins.

It is being released in the UK at the boat show and will be about £600 including decoder (decoders are about £300 anyway).

I have a PDF of the specs somewhere but if it works this is what I am going to go for....dimensions are about 500mmx600mm high if I remember right.

mailto: stefan@athito.com
    South Coast to Greece delivery trip - Mochi 46 Flybridge:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...an//page//vc/1

Default Re: Glomex

thanks will investigate glomex geoff

geoff
    geoff

Let me know what you can find out about it, I'll have a lok at it at the boat show, but 600 squids is a lot of money still!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Didn't see anything at the show, apart from very expensive, but a can confirm a 30cm dish is too small for spain, you need a 60cm one, which works fine! The dishes are cheap enough! About 25 euros down there.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ref trackimg system i have heard that you have to use a large dish in the med is this true if so possibly fitting a rail mounted tracking unit might be the answer as supplied by follow me company www.follow-me-tv.com the price is $830 approx
    geoff
    ps not on boat at present home in ireland for xmas

geoff
    geoff

As a point of interest I can mention that I have used a satellite dish (large) fixed mounted on my charter yacht in Norway with complete success. Admittedly I moor alongside at the same spot as I come and go with my charter parties, but still, I find the directional stability of the signal quite flexible. I bought a handy little gadget you hook up between the antennae cable and the dish to tune the signal visually as well as audiably.

I remember with amusement some years ago fitting a small TV antennae to the tiller which had a small autopilot fitted. When at anchor, I just set the course in the direction of the strongest TV signal and the autopilot did the rest, swingeing with the tide.

Sinbad the Sailor

An aerial on an auto-pilot. Pure genius!

A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a Unicorn