Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: West from the Solent in a bilgekeeler - advice, please !

correct watch the tides and overfall. round at slack water either close in or a few miles off. not much tide in lyme bay.

Evadne is offline Registered User

Correct. Ask at the harbourmaster's office in Weymouth, IIRC the best time to leave is about 1/2 hour before HW Dover. Inshore passage if wind is F4 or less, otherwise go around the outside. Whichever you choose, you need to carry a fair tide to make any progress at all!!

Which harbour you choose for a landfall across Lyme bay depends on wind direction as much as anything else, Brixham and Torquay are much of a muchness, Dartmouth is a bit farther but with a fair wind is no problem.
    http://www.eoa.org.uk/

I'd far rather be happy than right.

alant is offline Registered User

I seem to have it in the back of my memory from my RN days that you can only be ASKED to go outside the range you don't have to & the range will have to cease activity whilst you transit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is illegal to loiter but you can definitely go through if you really want to be awkward.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so, unless Maritime Law has changed.
    According to the ex-RYA barrister Edmond Whelan, they can only ASK!

You can reply with a legal phrase -
    " I am exercising my right of innocent passage".

which in effect tell's 'em to bugger off.

Although you can stand on your rights and transit the range danger area it is not totally without risk.

Normally they will stop firing or adjust the firing (i.e. only use the targets at the other side of the range) so the danger area changes and the yacht is outside.Though I recall a number of boring hours many years ago waiting on the firing point for a yacht to pass.

In the mid 80's I was a spectator at a major firepower (and sales ) demonstration. Every military attache from every embassy was there to see every weapon in the army fired.

One of the artillery targets was a huge orange buoy out at sea and with perfect timing a yacht appeared. There was no way the demo could be interrupted and a full artillery battery (forget the calibre but it was the big ones) fired a full-on "fire for effect" mission. The water around the buoy exploded spectacularly.

The yacht gybed suddenly and "revised its passage plan".

Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

That is disgusting but just what I would expect from Brown Jobs.

Whats disgusting is the fact that people get so confrontational whenever someone they perceive is in authority is carrying out his or her job. Maybe next time the range should not check or adjust fire, then there will be nobody to moan that their rights are being eroded once again by the big bad military.

I have worked at lulworth range, and also sailed the area so see from both sides of the fence. I have seen pleasure boats blatantly transit the danger area many times.

Lulworth range allows the military the opportunity to carry out much needed practise and training. Would you rather the guy’s and girl’s go away with no live fire training, just so you do not have to detour from your shortest route, we publish our range times well in advance and will also check fire when needed.
    Check fire can cost £1000’s in lost training time. Units are turned round very fast these days and the slots at lulworth are prime.
    So just because you can’t be bothered to adjust your passage to avoid the well publicised range area, British troops should be put at risk.
    Why not try and see the bigger picture, we all want free seas and freedom of rights. Sometimes a small sacrifice is needed from the few to help everyone else.

Let me have your boats name I will be sure to pass it on, hope you get to see the sites soon, or should I say hope to see you in the sights soon.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Lulworth range allows the military the opportunity to carry out much needed practise and training. Would you rather the guy’s and girl’s go away with no live fire training, just so you do not have to detour from your shortest route, we publish our range times well in advance and will also check fire when needed.
    Check fire can cost £1000’s in lost training time. Units are turned round very fast these days and the slots at lulworth are prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have agreed with you, but seeing as the government didn't put up much of a fight over red diesel, I'm not so sure many will bother to go around the area now. Co-operation works both ways......

Rick