Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Marine inflation

[ QUOTE ]
    How many outboard mechanics have you met that can even own a yacht? never mind pay the market rate for somebody to work on it.

Being able to work longer hours as a freelance just illustrates how poorly paid the job is compared with some others.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm working for a lot less than 30 per hour, and in fact have never earned that, not even in my short time in the oil industry. I own my house outright in a beautiful spot in the middle of one of the prime sailing areas in the UK plus we have our own ocean going yacht on a mooring in the bay half a mile away. and I don't even have to work every day if I don't want to.

Of course our house is very small, our TV is 20 years old, our furniture is Ikea or second hand, our clothes are mostly Tescos and our small car is 10 years old - but that's how we peioritise. If anyone who can pull in 30 an hour can't afford a yacht then it just isn't a priority for them.

So as you can see, paying someone 30 an hour to tinker with an outboard I paid 100 for in a pub really isn't an option. If it is for you then fine.

Interesting to hear what you consider is a reasonable income, Tranona. Most people round here think the national average wage is a fantasy. Not all yachties are loaded, some of us have had to make a few sacrifices for our sailing.

- W

Twister_Ken is online now Registered User

Default Re: Marine inflation *DELETED*

Post deleted by danfoley
    Next time, it'll all be different.

[ QUOTE ]
    Its all your fault WebCraft, you are part of a national education system designed to denigrate hands-on vocational skills. Your system divides eighteen year olds into failures or university undergraduates.

The result is that the few capable people, who buck the trend and do something with their hands, can charge astonishing hourly rates.

Its all supply and demand, in the 12th century scribes where the highest paid professionals in the land.

[/ QUOTE ] How very true. In my defence I would just like to say that I agree 100% with you and wouldn't describe myself as part of the system.

I stay out of schools as much as possible these days as they are only working for perhaps 20% of the kids in them . . . and the other 80% are not out to make my life easy.

- W

[ QUOTE ]
    The interesting bit for me though was that the bloke actually did you a big favour. By causing you to have a fit of the indignant vapours, you fixed ityourself in next to no time, thus enhancing your knowledge of your equipment, and providing you with a skill that could be turned into a 30 quid an hour goldmine, to supplement your other trades.

See, theres always an upside.

[/ QUOTE ] How true! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    So part of your economies include buying stolen goods in a pub!

[/ QUOTE ] It's not like you to post without thinking Ken . . .

That was both offensive and defamatory even if it was only intended to be amusing. The outboard was old and tatty looking but the seller had taken care of it mechanically and put a realistic value on it.

I'm afraid I've notified the moderator on this one - never had to do that before, so it will be interesting to see if anything happens.

- W

Gawd - notify administrator on something that was clearly meant as a funny.

"Got it off this bloke down the pub guv, no wot I mean?" ....

Webby, we're just tweaking your nose, just chill out in your lovely neck of the woods.

Blimey Nick... thats a bit OTT isn't it?

Chris,

I am sure it was intended as a joke but . . . as someone on here remarks regularly, internet forums may contain nuts and others might take this differently.

I run several internet forums myself, and I am afraid that I would regard a comment like this as requiring moderation - for fairly obvious reasons. In this instance I would have sent a polite email to the poster suggesting that this could be taken the wrong way and giving them the chance to edit their own post - this has always worked for me in the past.

So - in retrospect I should have PMed TK and suggested he edit his post, especially as by all accounts the Notify Moderator function on this board is a bit of a hit or miss affair anyway.

- W

[ QUOTE ]
    I run several internet forums myself, and I am afraid that I would regard a comment like this as requiring moderation

[/ QUOTE ]
    So do I, and I would've read this as normal forum banter ... perhaps you are a little over sensitive?