View Poll Results: Iraq

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 11.76%
  • No

30 88.24%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is sail really a cheaper alternative to power ?

Serious question please

How much does a set of sails cost for a 40ft yacht ?
    How many miles will they last ?

Full reason behind the question

Having recently spent a splendid weekend at a sailing cruiser rally and got back at the helm I decided to look seriously at returning to sail.

I am now well out of date with what sails and equipment are needed so I asked at the Bar of a well reputed yacht club, within minutes a sail maker was to hand BUT [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Set of Kevlar sails quoted @ 50,000 [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    Life expectancy 1800 miles
    ( presume Kevlar ropes/shrouds/sheets ?????)

28 per mile ouch

Kevlar was suggested as I expressed an interest in speed and needing to sail in sixes and sevens.

I know for the average Solent sailor a standard set of sails are cheaper.

There is no wounder top class racing is dominated by the large cooperate sponsors.

Do any leisure boats really use sails at 50,000 or was he just taking the ......

The mooring costs are also more expensive, I would need a huge boat to get close to the accommodation we get on a 36ft power boat.
    If I take usable accommodation into account the berthing fees outweigh any diesel costs.

Default Re: Is sail really a cheaper alternative to power ?

If you want sail and speed get a MacGregor

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Daka,

You'd need to spend no more than 4k on a set of sails.... and they'd last at least 5 seasons, and probably more like 10... there are loads of boats out there sailing quite happily with 20 year old sails..... no cruiser would ever spend anywhere near that sum on sails....

Accomodation wise.... well... your call.... yes, less space foot for foot.... or higher mooring fees if you went for a bigger boat... but the initial purchase price would be 50% of an equivalent sized mobo to start with...

Oh... and on't forget to offest the annual servicing costs of two whacking great big engines...... thats a set of new sails paid for every 4 years.....

No of course leisure boats don't pay that amount for sails - that is getting close to what you would pay for an Am Cup racer.

A standard set of Dacron sails for a cruising boat are more likely to be in the 3k-4k range (you can get them cheaper) and should last well over 20,000 miles.

I'm looking at getting a new main in the next year or so - the current one is original - so is 14 years old and is showing signs of being knackered....
    You can't say how many miles it will last for as it depends on UV, wind, rain and how you store them when not in use.
    Kevlar is a bit silly for cruising boats - 50k would buy me a new boat - sod the sails!

Judging by the genoa - which is much newer - only 8 years old and still going strong, I'd guestimate 10 years average use - so at 1k per sail you're talking 200pa for sails ... a 40'er would be a bit more, but not hugely.

If you're wanting to go out in 6's and 7's a lot then I would suggest you don't want a roller genoa as your only foresail - a special sail for the conditions you're expecting would be far more efficient and give you longer lifetime on the larger sails. - The main should reef down ok though.

You are really spoilt for space in a Mobo - but then that is at the sacrifice of having to listen to that engine for hours on end - contrary, you'll be freezing your socks off in a tippystick so you'll want less space so you're forced to cuddle up with the crew - just make sure you like the crew!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hmm - I obviously go for cheap sails then!!

Thankyou,
    Answered in full [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Why on Earth someone would want to spin such a ridiculous line amazes me , surly he didn't really think I would order a set @50 000 without checking [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I did have a look at a McGregor last SIBS.

Good value but not really for me [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cheers
    Pete

On the other hand my Dehler 22 appears to have smooched around the Chiemsee for two decades with her first owner before being rudely relocated to Rutland Water with me.

The sails are the original 1984 Elvstrom items. They are not that pretty any more, but they are functional, and quite evidently well made. I don't use an engine (not allowed on RW..I do have one though)

It just depends how much you want to spend, and what your sailing parameters are. I'd certainly want a newer set for regular sea work I suppose. I have known people sell sailing yachts and go back to dinghies. More fun, less worry, negligible financial impact.

I'd hope to get a suit of sails to last at least five years if properly looked after. If you regularly encounter F6 and upwards, then thats a different matter.

Tim

Not wanting to go out in 6/7 just know how difficult it is avoiding them when looking for 4 hour windows and I expect to be caught out more when needing 12 hour windows.

Effectively @ 50k for a set of sails that only last a season I was being told to forget second hand boats [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

He must have thought I was rich [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

He obviously took the position that anyone who can run a powerboat with the current price of fuel must be a multi-millionaire [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you were seriously looking at sailing, and accommodation is a big factor, then you should consider a cat - I would think that a 40' Cat is probably comparable with a 36' MOBO. For a monohull you can get very good accommodation in the 45-55' range, but they are different to MOBOs