Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ironmaiden is offline Registered User

Default marine inflation ????

this really saddens me .....some guy getting 30 quid an hour for tinkering with an outboard.....GET A GRIP......
    I spent 5 years of my life at univerity to get an Msc...at my expense.... ( still owe the government 13000.00 in student loans) to be a critical care nurse ... now lets put this into perspective .. .......he twiddles with an out board for 30 quid an hour... ....I do everything that I have spent all those years training for, and continue to train for, and up date my skills at my own expense.....to keep a human being who could be you mother, your father, your son or daughter alive to spend the day being accountable for a very sick person.....FOR 10 QUID an hour ........pleeeeeaase get a grip [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

rachel
    Of all the things I've lost in my life, the thing I miss the most is.....my mind

Default Re: marine inflation ????

You get holidays, a very fat pension, a guaranteed 40 hours a week (or whatever). You only have to pay your own NI, not the Employers half, and if you go off sick you will get paid. Oh, and the business wont fall over if you throw a sickie. If you are made redundant, just show them your P45 and they will pay you. Try that being self employed.
    By the way, if you are good, you may be promoted, all the way up to Running the NHS. No promotion as a self employed person, just s bigger salary if you make some PROFIT.

If its money you wanted, then you should have thought of something else to do and got a different degree. BTW my wife is a Matron, and she earns the same as I do.

Its you who ought to get a grip.

I think its time we stopped these stupid comparisons. Perhaps i will pull the Moderator chain myself on this one.
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

jonjo is offline Registered User

The underlying problem is that nurse training should not have been turned into an academic pursuit requiring an undergraduate lifestyle and associated student loans.

... and to add to FC's comments, you also don't have to buy your own tools.... imagine the uproar if every nurse was asked to provide their own bandages, needles and scalpals out of their own salaries..... well thats the reality of being self employed.... there aint anybody else to buy the spanners.....

[ QUOTE ]
    I think its time we stopped these stupid comparisons. Perhaps i will pull the Moderator chain myself on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell are you to decide what I read? If you don't like it don't read it, the subject is clear. Don't take threads away for everyone else.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell are you to decide what I read? If you don't like it don't read it, the subject is clear. Don't take threads away for everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did she not put out last night?

[ QUOTE ]
    Did she not put out last night?

[/ QUOTE ]

She's on the blob.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I can understand your own frustration with your career but dont begrudge the outboard mechanic a decent living.

He doesnt get 30 per hour at all.He charges 30 /hour out of which he then has to pay for his premises ,insurances ,tools,heat and light advertising training courses, a vehicle with all the associated costs of that,accountancy Health and Safety requirements, the list is endless.

im amazed the guy can make a living at 30 .

The way you describe his work as tinkering around with outboards is probably insulting as it would be if your work was described as putting a plaster on someone now and then.

The underlying problem is that nurse training should not have been turned into an academic pursuit requiring an undergraduate lifestyle and associated student loans.

Could not agree more. It requires dedication to become a nurse and the quality of their service and their job expectations go out of the window when forced to get a degree (which does nothing to improve their abilities)

Their was a very good system in place but someone was given the job of seeing if it could be improved and, to justify their job,......
    So many nurses now seem to thing that they are too qualified to clean the wards and change the soiled beds and really should be treated as doctors (who really do need, and earn, their degree qualification)
    As to the original poster, the mechanic will probably have to have a degree soon as it seem to be the fashion.