Wansworth is offline Registered User

Default Spray hood..cost?

Looking at some small boats ,some with and some without Spray hood and dodgers,something for a folkboat,ivictor.....anybody have any idea of the overall cost includig fitting to boat? thanks.

Default Re: Spray hood..cost?

for a Snapdragon 24, I was quoted approximately 500-650.

I'll be going without one then.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

In the region of 400 -500 unless you're a dab hand with a sewing machine.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Stemar is offline Registered User

Prices quoted above seem on the low side to me. Mine - also for a Snapdragon, was closer to 800, but that included a visit to the boat to measure up, a new frame and fitting. They also came and took it awy and adjusted it when the fit wasn't quite right.

There are kits and measure yourself suppliers for less, but I've seen some of the measure yourself results, which is why I decided to pay more. SWMBO wouldn't be without it and, if I'm honest, neither would I.

Dodgers, measured & supplied, but not fitted were about 180. The most expensive bit was putting the name on them.

If I could sew and had an adequate machine, I'd have a go at the dodgers. but not a sprayhood. A good one looks fantastic, but there are a lot of nasty ones around that detract both from the value and the enjpyment of the boat.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Slow_boat is offline Registered User
    Location : My own cosy little world where nice things happen and life is beautiful all the time

Stemar's right; Dodgers are easy to make yourself with a domestic sewing machine. Mine are about 9ft long, with pockets and name and cost about 60 to make, with enough materail left over for tiller, winch and hatch covers.

Sprayhood I wouldn't attempt myself and having looked at the prices, I shall continue to do without!

Thanks.Having sailed with and without a sprayhood I consider it an essential part of the equipment for comfort and security...will add on to asking price and see what it looks like!

Have a look at these prices. Its not difficult to finish them yourself if you have a sewing-machine - http://www.martexmarine.com/

Thanks.....but my curtains have not been a sucess still could get someone who could !!

bazobeleza is offline Registered User
    Location : faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year more portugal than l'pooll

Get a good strong sewing machine, make paper patterns from good stiff paper (wallpaper works well) and buy your fittings from one of the many stainless steel suppliers, you should be able to do it all for 250 quid including buying the machine. You can basically make up the sprayhood with gaffertape and paper before you cut any cloth, that way you can get it right first time.
    happiness is a 10kva genset and cold beer

Contact Martex Marine; terrycross@martexmarine.com.; look at the web site

The do spray hoods ect
    Captain Fantastic