Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Raymarine archive.fsh into something useful

We're currently on our way around the British Isles and have been tracking our progress when on passage using our C80. I've saved out a couple of archive.fsh files from the plotter to free up space.

I was hoping to turn the tracks/wpts into kml files so I could upload them to Google Maps and show everyone that's following our progress where we've been. However the archive looks like it's a binary file.

Does anyone know if it's even possible to extract the data and convert it into something useful (even a CSV)? To make matters a bit more complicated I've only got access to my Mac on board.

Cheers

M

malcp is offline Registered User

Default Re: Raymarine archive.fsh into something useful

You can transfer the archive.fsh into an excel spreadsheet using a utility that can be downloaded from the Raymarine www site. http://www.raymarine.com/default.asp...0&Parent=3 .

However I guess you then have the problem of excel on your MAC? If you can solve that then you may be able to write out the database into a more convenient format

The problem isn't so much with Excel on the Mac, but that the Raymarine utility will only run on a pc. If the OP has got Parallels or Bootcamp, plus a card reader, then it's possible to do the transfer. What you do with it once it's in Excel is anybodys guess though - it's not exactly a readable format.

malcp is offline Registered User

Ok, fair enough, if you can get it onto a MAC, then once in excel you can write it out in a choice of different formats, including comma separated text (CSV). It "might" be possible to do something with that.

If you can get it out as a plain text file and a sample of a .kml I'll see what I can do with it. I don't mac anymore but I would guess a bit of vba in a macro would do something (if mac supports vba)
    I've pm'd you so you can mail it to me.

If you cant get the text file then send the binary but I'd be less optimistic for getting that to convert on the mac.

I know that the earlier Mac versions of Excel -Office X and Office 2004 - support VBA, and will import and run VBA from .xls files written on a pc. The very latest Mac version, however, doesn't have VBA support.
    Re-reading my first post above, what I intended as just a little extra nugget of vaguely useful info has come across as a bit 'Mr know it all pedant' - sorry, didn't mean it like that.

Apology welcome srp , but I never saw any cause for one!

If I understand right, I could use the Raymarine utility and convert gromskis data , then attack the binary with vba to match it and deduce the structure, but If gromski can't use the MSExcel/vba theres no point , he might just as well send it to someone who could convert it to .csv so I await a mail from gromski...

Gromski
    Hi , welcome to the forum.
    Do you know what versions ofd macOs and MsOffice you are running ? and..

srp
    Do you know if that combination supports vba?

If not I'll convert your fsh's to .csv for you. probably easier that way anyhow.

Default Re: Raymarine archive.fsh into something useful.As y

Morning all and thanks for the replies.

As you've already deduced there are issues around me using Raymarine's conversion utility with me being on a Mac. I'm actually running both Office 2004 and 2008 so I've got access to VBA (in '04) should I need it. Having said that I was going to bang something together in Perl or PHP to do the heavy lifting rather than Excel.

Chewi - if you could convert the archive's to CSV that'd be really appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Gromski

I await the archives.
    I have pm'd you my email address.

Gromski
    I keep Pm'ing you but my profile doesnt show them as sent.
    I think you might be waiting for me...
    I'm reluctant to put my email address here.