Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Volvo D6-310 Crankcase Breather filters

As these are huge amount of money is it necessary to change annually? Think last service they were something like £ 80 each?

Default Re: Volvo D6-310 Crankcase Breather filters

It's important that your crankecase can vent properly. In too much pressure builds up, it will have to release somewhere. the next weakest component are your Turbo seals. So a badly blocked crankcase filter can burst your Turbo Seals.

Don't know how often you need to change it though, just that a blocked one is bad news

Thanks for the info - much appreciated as I didn't really understand the significance of these filters.

Still curious why they are so expensive though when main airfilter which is much larger of course is a 1/3 of the price? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If it's anything like the one in the D4 it looks to me as though it can be cleaned with degreaser and reused. I certainly intend to try that as my next service is due after the warranty expires. It seems to be just a nylon mesh on quite a substantial frame so if it doesn't disolve in Jizer why not?
    East Coast Marine Heating & Electronics, Webasto, Wallas & Mikuni dealer

My thoughts exactly! At the price Volvo charge for it worth a try. Let me know how it goes perhaps. I will take a look at D6 ones and see whether cleaning feasible.

CHI is offline Registered User

I have Volvo D4 260,s which are now out of warranty so i service them myself. Also horrified at cost of crankcase breather filters. Spoke to local volvo agent who advised they instruct their guys to check that mesh filter is ok. If so they wash them with clean Diesel, dry and refit. i have done this and no problems as yet

Thanks for that - will def. give this a go next service

Thanks from me too, gives me a bit more confidence.

Agreed £80 is robbery. I think the reason Volvo get away with this is because there's no truck engine equivilent? Or suprious parts?

And I though £20 was expensive for the KAD32 crank filter [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Or maybe because every bugger's washing them now so they don't sell the volume to price them lower [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast