colin_jones is offline Registered User

Default internet connection

If anybody has had any experience of using the Bouygues network for mobile phone to notebook PC in France (or elsewhere) I would be very grateful to hear about it.

Default Re: internet connection

Just an idea Colin, but have you tried Tiscali.com, who can give you all the info about using them as ISP's throughout Europe and they may be able to offer some help with network selection.

Phil

I did it, so can you.

colin_jones is offline Registered User

Thanks for that. It is a thought which had crossed my mind and I actually have a Tiscali account ,but one of the drawbacks is that it is a franchise sold separately in different countries, so my account in UK has no bearing on France - so I would need to pay for a separate subscription there - as oppsoed to - say - aol who have local access numbers in many countries covered by the monthly payment at home.

It also has to be said that when we had email problems in France last year, we did not find the French Tiscali guys very helpful. OK I might have caught one one a bad day but.......

Many of the email problems stem from the irritating Fr habit of changing the rules without prior publicity. I got caught by Orange and Itineris last year - both now France-Telecom, which has enough troubles of its own at the moment.

We are currently in touch with a number of Fr companies about the state of play. They are not very definite about many things especially something as off-beat as email to boats. They tend to shrug off minority causes. We will let you know how the research goes.

All best wishes for a succesful solution to your insurance hassle.

IF IF IF our insurance problem gets sorted...now using a solicitor..we will be going into France late January/February and I'll make some enquiries for you.

Phil

PS will send a PM re insurance

I did it, so can you.

NeilE is offline Registered User

I managed to use the Bougues network for the final 3 days of my summer holiday last year. It was fine since I dialed a French number for my ISP. I had previously signed up for a Tiscal.fr account which worked well. I am now using Pipex which has local nodes in most European countries and will try it in France next year. A note of caution, Bougues pay as you go does not allow international calls.

If you want to try it though, I noticed on a booze cruise at Christmas, that I could get the network in Dover - I guess there are hundreds of citizens of Dover using French mobiles for French calls!