Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ohms Law + losses

Thanks Nigel. Yachtbits divided the Watts by 12, the DC voltage, whereas you divided by the mains voltage. I don't understand this, can you explain please ?

Regards

Alan Porter
    Alan Porter

Default Re: DC to AC Converter

go back to basics, they do work as long as you get the right size (see other postings)
    a laptop car cigar lighter attachment is about 70 for a HP laptop so a moderate sized invertor is a bargain, (i am biased, i sell them) it is cheaper to buy a 350 watt one off me for 55 and use it in your car to charge your phone, digi cam, or laptop than it is to buy all the cigar lighter convertors and a lot less hassle, you can then use it in your boat to charge all the bits and pieces plus it will just about warm up her indoors's and the rug rats hair straighteners !!
    keep them sweet !!

s

Gunfleet is offline Registered User

for current consumption, look at the wattage of the mains device you want to use, divide this figure by 12. divide the result by 0.9. this will give a very rough indication of the current draw from the batteries.>>
    I'm not sure I see the logic of this. 0.9 is nearly 1 so either dividing or multiplying by it will give a number very near the one you started out with, if we're in the world of very rough indications. You may as well say just divide by 12.

I got a 12v adapter for a Sony Vaio from RRC Power Solutions Gmbh - it works exactly as the mains adapter, see:

http://www.rrc-ps.com/eng/products/a...caradapter.htm

They also have a compatibility table at:

http://www.rrc-ps.com/eng/products/a...ercrossref.htm

I think I was put on to them direct by Sony - your manufacturer may also be able to help. I have also used Toshiba and Dell laptops with 12v adapters, but I'm sorry I don't know where they came from. Additionally I have used other laptops with a variety of 240v invertors and invariably the invertor has proved less reliable than the laptop! (Mind you all things are relative...)

I couldn't agree more that going via 240v if a direct alternative exists makes no sense for several reasons - hence my original post.

John

Let me explain the logic behind Yachtbits power required posting.

1 - The AC wattage is the power the device consumes when it is operating. Assuming no losses the power rating of an inverter and the power drawn from the battery would be precicely the same as the wattage quoted for the device.

2 - If we take the quoted wattage and divide this by the battery voltage (a nominal 12 volts) we get the current that will be drawn from a 12 volt battery when supplying that amount of power. Again assuming no losses.

3 - We do not live in a perfect world as we loose power in most real life energy conversions so we divide the current drawn by 0.9 to allow for a 90% efficiency in the DC to AC converter.

If you were to just divide by 12 you would end up with a loss free system and Yachtbits would have everyone screaming at his post.

The numbers he quoted will give a fairly accurate value of the nominal current an inverter will draw.

Iain

Gunfleet is offline Registered User

The mist clears, however briefly. ;-)

my post was trying to make the point that although wasteful in the conversion it is more convenient to have one source of power at 59 instead of 3 or 4 12v adapters at anything up to 70 each, and as for sony viao spares well !!
    as a side issue a customer of mine had a sony viao laptop with a duff cd drive (i own a computer repair shop) sony will not sell spares to the likes of me so he had to send the machine back to sony, bear in mind that it cost him over 3k and was only just out of warranty, over 300 to repair and if you dont want it repairing sir, 180 to have it back!!
    s

Default OOP\'s !!!! Sorry about that one !!!!

It should have been divided by the supply voltage !!!!

It's habit - where I do quite a bit of calculations for domestic - I'm sorting out house things !!!!!

So CORRECTED :

600 Watt = 12volt x amps

therefore 600 / 12 = 50 amps

plus 10% for losses = 55 amps supply

That means that the average leisure battery on a boat - 100 amp/hour - theoretically would give you about 2 hours supply, but it doesn't work that way ------ you'd probably get half that as the battery plates suffer !!!

My 150 Watt job calculates out at :

150 / 12 = 12.5 amps + 10% = 13.75 amps

giving me in theory from my 120 a'hr battery - about 8.7 hours ...... in fact I only use it for 2-3 hours maximum unless engine is running ........

NOTE : It is NOT a good idea to start engine while inverter is supplying an appliance. Stop the appliance, unplug the inverter and then start engine, when settled - then restart appliance. I cannot explain fully why .... but that is the advise I have been given by an electrician that I trust !

Nigel ...
    Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !