Default Raystar 120 GPS lithium battery anyone replaced one?

I posted a few days ago about my intermittently operating GPS. A tour of older USA threads shows that there is a history of these units failing - apparently a bad batch were produced a few years ago, unclear when. Also is that they have a lithium battery in them similar to that on a PC board and it is unclear if these pack up after a while and might be the source of the problem. Has anyone here opened up their aerial and replaced the battery - is it easy to do, did it make a difference?

BTW, Hardy and Raymarine both recommended an upgrade to a 125 unit which is fine if you want to spend a couple of hundred quid on something that should work already!
    Maximise your effectiveness at work - visit www.bluestone-training.com

Talulah is offline Registered User

Default Re: Raystar 120 GPS lithium battery anyone replaced one?

I've opened up the aerial and replaced the cable. Easy enough but I don't remember seeing a battery.
    (The previous cable just had too many joins.)

No but I have replaced one on a Garmin GPS12, Be very careful if soldering. Batteries are of a very common type. http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...ue#Post1907321
    Posted from my iPad so please excuse any spelling,grammar or punctuation mistakes

There is a stock lithium battery inside. Depending on the age of your GPS it is either just slotted in (easy to replace) or spotwelded to SS leads (A bitch to get off). For the later I recommend to use a small (2mm) drill bit and drill the "spotweld" out . that leaves you with the two SS fins to slot a new battery in between (observe polarity!!). Secure it with a blob of silicone.
    Worked fine for me.

Thanks Talulah - you say you opened it up - can I ask how - does the top of the mushroom dome just crew off?
    Maximise your effectiveness at work - visit www.bluestone-training.com