Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing

Default fishing

got brought a little fishing rod and tackle at the weekend. Havent done any fishing since I was a little boy, so can't remember any rules and regulations.
    Wouldn't mind doing a bit in the marina and maybe out on the river, but what do I need to know before I start. I assume I need some sort of fishing licence / permit, and also are there places I can / can't fish, times of the year etc?

Brayman is offline Registered User

Default Re: fishing

You will need an EA Fishing Licence (Buy it at the Post Office or on line), a lot of the bank is operated by angling clubs so you need to keep your eyes open. The close season is something like mid March to mid June (16th I think) when you can't fish the river - but you can fish on lakes in that period.

Don't have any plans to sit on the bank and fish, as just want to occasionaly fish over the back of the boat, either in the marina (bray) or when moored somewhere quiet for the night.
    Will get a rod licence sorted then, cheers.

Brayman is offline Registered User

I don't know what the rules are if you are moored on a bank with a club's fishing rights, whether you are allowed to fish off the back of your boat - I would doubt it somehow but hopefully somone on here will know.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know what the rules are if you are moored on a bank with a club's fishing rights, whether you are allowed to fish off the back of your boat - I would doubt it somehow but hopefully somone on here will know.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes; I was told by a gilly on that stretch up where the hellraisers club was that you can legally fish from your boat when moored on a bank where a club has rights - maximum of 2 rods (plus the licence previously mentioned.)

You can fish from your boat but if you're in an area where a club had the rights, you need to buy a day ticket from them.

The Environment Agency own the river bed downstream of Staines so there is free fishing (with a rod licence) wherever there is public access.

You can get a lock and weir fishing permit (about £25) from EA to be allowed to fish certain locks and weirs.

There is info on where to fish and I think tackle shops too on http://www.visitthames.co.uk in the fishing section. With maps.

Angela (EA)

Of the three MDL Marinas you can fish off your boat at Bray and Penton Hook…but not at Windsor Marina where it seems the tree huggers rule…..
    Last week ….after seeking permission from the marina manager there, we were ordered by an indignant boat owner to stop fishing immediately…then when swmbo told him we had permission he started jumping up and down with rage saying the fish were his pets and he knew them all by name…..then because he sensed we were not taking him seriously (by this time we were howling with laughter) he started into a lot of verbal abuse ….
    So be careful ….there`s a lot of nutters out there….also stay away from angling club meetings ..these people take their fishing very seriously….and even though you may be in the right you may find your rod inserted somewhere that will need a surgeons skills to recover it…
    As for the marinas ..Up at Bourne End Marina moored under a no fishing sign the Manager Peter came on the boat to give the lad advice ….Bray you can fish anywhere …but it has to be from the boat….Racecourse ..anywhere from the boat or pontoon….boat only at Penton Hook……
    You can fish at Windsor marina but only from your boat from the river …none allowed from the pontoons not even from your boat…..
    So get a rod licence and then seek permission …then just to make sure ask for a note confirming the permission so when you are accosted by some tree hugging jumped up green anorak killjoy on a mission …you can tell him to `sling his hook`…..

…….

cheers for that. Its mostly the idea of just sitting on the boat in the marina that appeals to me, so I will pop into the marina office when next down there to confirm all okay.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Did the tree hugger know of your Grandson's record on catching fish? If so he wouldn't be worried [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Byron

Cruel but true …..that is until we arrived at Penton Hook and he set his lines ….then after the last 2 months trying and after lots of help from yourself and all his other Grandads in the O/ditch and all sorts of people he met on the river…..it happened ….he caught his first fish……then went on to catch 6 more

Something he`ll always remember…..

…..