Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by VO5 View Post
    I know that. Everybody knows that, background or no background.

But it does not answer my question.

Why ?
    He was aware that the heir apparent - Edward VIII to be (briefly) - had no interest in sailing. AIUI, on the few occasions he went sailing on Britannia, he was more interested in practising his golf drive off the counter. I assume he was unwilling to see her sold, and didn't want her to be neglected by Edward, so decided to have her scuttled.

Apparently there are people on the island who know where she lies. And her tiller and gaff are in the Prospect in Cowes.

I believe her mast is at the Royal Naval College in Dartmouth.

Minn is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keen_Ed View Post
    He was aware that the heir apparent - Edward VIII to be (briefly) - had no interest in sailing. AIUI, on the few occasions he went sailing on Britannia, he was more interested in practising his golf drive off the counter. I assume he was unwilling to see her sold, and didn't want her to be neglected by Edward, so decided to have her scuttled.

Apparently there are people on the island who know where she lies. And her tiller and gaff are in the Prospect in Cowes.
    That's what I understand. And her saloon doors are in the library of the Royal Harwich.

It's fair to say that as a racing yacht she had been outclassed for some time, and was really past the point where throwing money at the problem with rig updates could solve it, but he loved her anyway.