Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sjclewes is offline Registered User

Default gel coat vs awlgrip which one should I use?

due to a hard life with a previous owner i need to either re gel or paint the whole of the hull of my 36 footer, but when asking various boat yards it is difficult to get an unbiased opinion as they obviously lean toward the product they use. so please can you let me know of good or bad experiences you may have had and also durability of each product. all help would be greatly appreciated. Simon

VicS is offline Registered User

Default Re: gel coat vs awlgrip which one should I use?

Not gel coat I would think.

It rather depends upon what you mean by "Awlgrip" there seems to be a wide range of products.

An epoxy coating below the waterline ceratinly be that an Awlgrip product or one of International's Gelsheild products or another.

(Awlgrip and International are both Akzo Nobel companies anyway)

Above the waterline you can use the same or opt for something less "high tech" and perhaps easier to apply
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

imho Awlgrip will out last any other product my boat was sprayed in 2000 & is still as good as new.
    make sure you DONT use their 2000 series paints its too soft.
    if you want white use (Off White - G8010 F8020) it isnt all bright white as that wouldnt look right on an older boat [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    I may be wrong but not always

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

G'day Sjclewes, and welcome aboard.

Gel coat would be very expensive and could add weight, but it has better durability than paint.

Painting on the other hand can be made a lot cheaper by doing a lot of the preparation yourself, then hire a spray painter for an hour or so.

I'm too sure about Awgrip paints, though many report good results and good durability. I have always used International Polyurethane based paints, like Interspray 900; the ones with long chain polymers have excellent self levelling qualities and will last 10 years or more.

I hope this helps.

Avagoodweekend......
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

international change the colours too often than you cant get any more paint of your chosen colour [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    I may be wrong but not always

Bejasus is offline Registered User

Done this year, Awlcraft. Was previously very tired Awlgrip.

Not aware of any process that re-gelcoats above the waterline, although it is common to strip and replace it below the water line as part of treatment for osmosis.

If you are talking topsides because they are marked and faded, then it is possible to do repairs to the gel coat and it is possible to get gel coat mixed to match. However, if you want a finish to look good all over, then painting is the answer. At the top end is a professional respray and Awlgrip is a common brand to use. Many high class boats are finished like this from new. At the other end you can do the job yourself using a brush applied coating. International Toplac is commonly used, but other manufacturers have equivalents. In between are all sorts of comnbinaations of products and application methods.

The major part of the cost (and determinant of final finish quality) is preparation, so doing this yourself can cut costs.

At the end of the day, how much you spend is determined by how much you think the boat is worth. An old 20k boat does not justify a top of the range finish costing several thousands. A good hand applied coating costing a few hundred and a lot of graft will transform a tired looking boat.

From personal experience I use Toplac and it is excellent. Easy to apply, looks good, does not fade (dark blue) and easy to touch up.

Hope this helps.

I am going thro the same process at the moment.

I wouldnt think that gel coat is really an option, I have heard of it being done but I can't imagine how one could get a finish on it, also gel coats are usualy made to 'go off' in the absence of air ie on the inside of a mould.

My boat painter said that he wouldn't be using Awl Grip and would use Int Perfection...Who knows ?? As you say its difficult to get objective info .. I know some paints are very hard on the surface but if the surface is damaged the substrate is less hard, and some paints are hard the whole way through ..

BTW My painter will be doing my boat by hand ! He says he can get a better finish applying with a roller and then tipping off with a brush.. I hope he is right ! He has a very good reputation, but i wasn't convinced until I saw an elderly GRP boat in the slings up at Bucklers Hard. I spoke with the owner and when complimented him on the finish he said it had been done by hand (brush).

I'm not actually using the people at B/Hard as they evidently couldnt be bothered to quote me or return my calls even when I took the boat up there for them, to look over. Sod 'em I'd rather give the considerable amount of money to the chap at my regular yard who uses the same technique.

Regards Nick

I also just found this link that I had saved, you might find it interesting, from one of the regular contributors to the 'forum'.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p.../0/page/0/vc/1

Regds Nick

sjclewes is offline Registered User

thanks for all of the replies the bejases pictures look stunning Ive had two quotes back for re geling both around 3000 one used a roller applying three coats then sanding back his work looked superb the other sprayed gel coat stunning finish also but has anyone experienced in how long it will last or will it peel ?