Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Default Re: Redundnacy looms!!!

Brian - thanks for that - just think - no more catching the 6.57!

Wee Jimi - yer rite - not too old - must find another grindstone - B******S - this is just what Ive been waiting for - so has SWMBO - who is terrified she's going to be made to go on a boat for 4 months a year! How right she is!

So how do I tell her tonight? '- oh darling - bye the way , I put the house on the market today', or .......'

I was going out to the boat for the week end in S Brittany, Think I'll go for the week!

Go for it Chris, I'll see you down in the meddy! Same age as me, but I've another 2 years to go top amass the readies, then it's completely bye bye! for me aswell!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Like you I'm 54. I've been made redundant twice. Once when I was 25 so no probs finding another berth and again when I was 43 when it took about 4 months.

This may be dull advice but I would take time and take stock. When you are about to transition from a lifetime's full, and presumably well paid employment, Day One of the rest of your life is not the time to rush into big decisions.

SWMBO is also an even more important factor in your life from now on. Friends, after retirement, have found it difficult to adjust to spending an awful lot more of their time together. To try and make that adjustment within the confines of a boat which however large is an lot smaller than a house could be problematical.

Good luck.

Peter

Scotty - I feel on top of the world. Got another opportunity which may allow me a week off at a time, so I look forward to the future!!!!!!

Default Join the club :) (better off now)

I was made redundant 5 years ago. I went back to roots and started painting again ... that was5 years ago when my paintings were selling for 140 for originals and 14 for prints.

One of those originals that I sold for 20 has just been sold at Phillips in New York for $26,000. (I reget the difference but now my paintings have several noughts added onto them whem it comes to the selling.)

Take the plunge and go for it.

Default Re: Join the club :) (better off now)

Never tried my hand at painting - My daughter is really good - so is it my genes or SWIMBO's? (or someone else completely!)

I'll get the brush out tomorrow - marine pictures sell well don't they??

Peter - thanks for the advice, I will bear it in mind.

stingo is offline Registered User

Chris

go to my <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>website</A> and click on the "<font color=blue>letters</font color=blue>" link.

That should give you some encouragement.

John

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

I'm in a similar position being an IT contractor for several years but with no work since end of last May. At the end November 2002 , I was offered a permanent job which I accepted , but quit after a month for various reasons. Last summer my wife and I went off on a 6 week cruise to the West Country , Scillies , N Brittany and the Channel Islands. We loved it so much I'm now under orders to accept only contract work or nothing at all so we can have a long cruise again this summer - Southern Brittany or S Ireland. Money ?We'll manage somehow even if we sell the large house and buy something smaller. What you've got to remember is that in your 50's you're still relatively healthy but you don't know how long it'll last. You might live a long life but don't know how many years you can go sailing. So sail NOW and if you can still sail in your 60's and beyond then it's a great bonus. A compromise with a reluctant partner might be to park the boat in the Med , and enjoy a bit of sailing and also a bit of a hedonistic Med lifestyle. You never know , Life might just be beginning.