Default Navtex on Raymarine plotter

Hi Folks

Does anybody have any experience of interfacing a Raymarine plotter with a Navtex unit? The plotter is capable of showing Navtex messages via NMEA.#

Cheers,

John

MartinJ is offline Registered User

Default Re: Navtex on Raymarine plotter

Yes I have done it a few times the Nasa engine works well you also need to update the C or E to ver. 4.29 and change the nmea input to Navtex if you are in the South west I can do it for you

nimbusgb is online now Registered User

Sounds like you can't do both AIS and Navtext at the same time on the Raymarine.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this but Raymarine just point blank refuses to implement serial to TCP/IP on their systems or multiple protocols simultaneously on the single port they have available, and their development team seem to be devoid of any interest in reacting to suggestions.

If Raymarine do go under perhaps someone with a bit of vision might take over, somehow I doubt it though.

sorry - rant mode over.

( yes I know AIS is 38k4 and navtext is usually 9600 but that bit is easy to get around )

pvb is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you can't do both AIS and Navtext at the same time on the Raymarine.

[/ QUOTE ]Wouldn't a simple multiplexer enable both AIS and Navtex simultaneously?
    Imminently boatless!

nimbusgb is online now Registered User

I think if you put the e series AIS mode ( ses port to 38k4 ) it forgets how to read Navtex and vica versa

pvb is offline Registered User

Surely it's possible to input AIS and Navtex data to a multiplexer, then output to a C/E series?
    Imminently boatless!

Cheers for that.

I am looking to next year, and am updating the software in my plotters as new verions become available, but thanks for the offer of the update.

Regards,

John

Looks like a bit of confusion has sprung up here between AIS and Navtex.
    The Raymarine units will accept one of NMEA, AIS or NAVTEX on their NMEA port - you specify which in the configuration.
    Although there is an NMEA style standard for NAVTEX receivers, this is only currently used by commercial units such as the Furuno NX-700 and McMurdo NAV-7. Raymarine support a simple data stream at either 4800 or 9600bps, which means that they will work with the Silva N15, NASA Navtex Engine, McMurdo NAV-5 and NAV-6 and Furuno NX-300 navtex receivers. They will not work with the NASA PC Navtex Pro, Furuno NX-700 or McMurdo NAV-7.
    Tim Thornton
    Smartcom Software www.smartcomsoftware.com