Default Cascover process, info please.

What did the Cascover method of sheathing consist of? I have some kind of mesh fabric sheathing on my plywood coachroof which has lasted very well for 40 years but is now starting to lift off in too may places to be patched up. Is this likely to be Cascover, and what is the best way to get it off where it is still adhering strongly to the wood?

Default Re: Cascover process, info please.

Cascover is a nylon type cloth set in a resorcinal adhesive. It is more normally used for hulls rather than coach roofs. My boat, also 40 plus years old is sheathed with it and there is no sign of lifting. It has been damaged and a patch resheathed (before my time) and I have repaired some small patches where abrasion has allowed water to get in - mostly on the stem. I cut it back until the attachment was sound, replaced the damaged wood with laminations and re-sheathed with glass cloth and epoxy. The joins are invisible.

I expect it would be difficult to remove without damaging the ply and would be tempted to cut back the loose areas, repair the ply underneath if damaged and patch.

Hope this helps.

ps It was sold by what is now Wessex Resins and it is possible somebody there knows more.

Unlikely to be cascover on coach roofs, but of course may be. Is the glue holding it down, purply/black? If it is could be Cascover, which was normally held on with cascamite, as in Cascover. Anyway, it sticks very well and may well destroy the ply, a repair with glass fibre and epoxy would be my best way, not polyester resin!!

My boat is also casciover sheated and also over 40 years old and is in perfect condition.
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

The glue is not really noticeable, if anything it is a creamy-white colour. The sheathing cloth is a a fairly open square weave pattern. It has mostly begun to lift wherever there is a screw throught he plywood into the beams below. The screws are bronze with a filler over their heads, and some have begun to turn a bit green and the filler has disintegrated.

I intend to use epoxy and tapered edge glass cloth when I have stripped the coachroof, and sealed it with a couple of coats of epoxy. Also, any suspect screws will have to be replaced. After that she should be good for another 40 years!

The bronze screws should be OK, they last for donkeys!! Glass cloth and epoxy has go to be the way to go, different of course if it was planked, then you'd need something a little more flexible. Fill the screw head holes with thickened epoxy, be fine for another 50 years!!
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

oldharry is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Unlikely to be cascover on coach roofs,

[/ QUOTE ]

My plywood Eventide had cascover to the Waterline, plus decks and coachroof. 30 yrs old, and it was perfect under the sheathing. Couldn't say the same about the exposed topsides, though!
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk