Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which lifejackets?

I am going to buy 6 lifejackets for the bot but without wanting to be so mean that I put my wallets health before my family's health, I want to be sure that the more I pay means a better product (no guarantee of that is there?). Anyone have any opinions on the manufacturers offerings? I see Crewsaver are a bit trumpier than Seago or Sigma for example and I have had a Crewsaver for years (the only time I tested it was after 10 years and I did it in a simming pool. It worked).
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Default Re: Which lifejackets?

Used to have Compass branded ones.
    They either went off when it rained or not at all when falling overboard.
    Not buying those again [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Now have Crewsaver. Misjudged distance to dinghy last year - went swimming - it worked.
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

You will get various opinions but IMHO if I go overboard its most likely due to an accidental gybe and I could be unconscious so I went for an auto inflate (go for pressure activation not soluble tablet) with crotch straps to prevent it riding up.

A good one should include a light and whistle.

After doing the survival course I added a spray hood and a divers stobe light.

Not sure if any make is vastly superior to another so finally with above specification bought on lowest price - in our case crewsaver.

Like everyone I hope it a total waste of money and never needed as in the chain of safety aids it is the one of very last resort.

If you are buying a few you should get a reasonable discount at LIBS.

Give Baltic a ring, they often have last year's models / other labels available at very good prices....

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

I think brand is less important than features... which are driven by how you intend to use them....

I would ensure; in order of importance....

Crutch strap.
    Sprayhood.
    light.

plus look at the size... ie 150n or 175 or 275.... how big are you? do you sail when its really rough? Offshore?

I tend to think that the 150's are proabably not big enough, versus 175 or 200 would be about right I suspect for most of the more lardy types....

Then try some on for comfort, ease of use... remember if it aint comfy, peeps are not gonna be keen....

We have some Crewsavers, and some others as well, all seem ok, I test them every year... no problems so far...

The straps on Baltic LJs have a cloth panel to stop them getting twisted.

Saves much bad language whilst struggling to get the thing on in a lumpy seaway and with a dodgy shoulder.
    "Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy" B. Franklin

If money was no object I would buy the spinlock ones. Every time I see one of those I just think it is a very well designed bit of kit.
    You never know, I might be right!

On another thought. Seago had to do a product recall recently. Must admit they handled it very well and very quickly. For customer services I will alwazys go with seago. They gave replaced with a better version too.

Any idea of relative cost and how are the spinlock ones equiped as standard please?

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one to have heard of Google! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.spinlock.co.uk/productite...amp;t=Deckvest

Which I believe answers all your questions!
    You never know, I might be right!