Default Does Int Micron Extra last 2 seasons ?

It won't be long before like many of you I am going to buy antifoul for the coming season.
    I have used a thin coat of Micron Extra (too mean to buy some , it came with the boat) and the next year Cruiser Uno)
    Both were struggling at the end of the season with light growth on both. Both affected sailing and motoring speed over the last month or so of the season.

If I put Micron Extra on this year , in the right thickness and planned to leave the boat in the water next winter , could I just lift and spray off for the 2010 season ?

I know Uno does one year in one coat , it sort of did what it says on the tin. Micro Extra is advertised as a two year cover but it's probably a little more than twice the price. It does mean however , I can only lift the boat to spay off saving a little in 'on the hard' fees.

In forumites opinions does it go the distance ? I am based in Plymouth which seems quite 'fouly' to me.
    ( incidentally , I also picked up somewhere that if you roller it on you do not get enough on with 2 coats , I think to get it to last 2 seasons you must apply enough , I have a 25ft bilge keel cruiser and reckon I need 4-5ltrs for correct coverage)

TIA

Default Re: Does Int Micron Extra last 2 seasons ?

i'm on my second year now 20 months, and still no green growth round the water line. some slime on the main hull, nothing on the amas.
    at this rate, ?? three seasons from two coats !!

We have found Seajet outperforms Micro Extra. The 033 seems to be nearly as good, and the 034 is fab. Did 12 boats in it last year.All good results. I am going for two years on my own boat, with a scrub before RTIR, as I need 7.5 l....

Oh yes, its cheaper too!
    The boat in front is a Lugger

Sandyman is offline Registered User

TBT does the trick
    Religion is just a mental crutch for the weak minded.

pvb is offline Registered User

My boat is marina-based, and I've been using Micron Extra with very good results. The boat stays afloat all year round, except for a week every second year, when I lift it out and antifoul. It doesn't ever get a scrub. The marina guys who operate the boatlift are always amazed at how clean the hull stays. I'd expect worse performance from the antifoul if I were on a swinging mooring.

The secret to getting antifoul to last 2 seasons is that you have to apply enough of the stuff. This applies to any antifoul, because the majority of brands are basically very similar. I apply 3 generous coats by brush (using around 7.5 litres on a 35-footer).

Based upon North East coast always afloat in 100% in sea water
    Also use Micron Extra BUT also put a coat of Primacon undercoat on first.
    Just lifted out after two years in December, yes one or two spots to touch up but otherwise sound, just power washed off, light sanded, new coat of Primacon the another coat of Micron Extra.
    Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

pvb is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Also use Micron Extra BUT also put a coat of Primacon undercoat on first.

[/ QUOTE ]Why? Primocon is a barrier coat, and will surely negate the benefit of the residual Micron coating.

Using Primocon as an undercoat has a number of benifits.
    I am not one to 'scrape back' to the GRP every time I antifoul as I am not looking for a mirror finish underwater, apart from anything else my boat has the original resin coat ontop of the GRP.
    After jet washing and light sanding the primocon fills in a lot of the few remaining crevis's and covers the previously remaining antifoul left on no problem with a thick coat of undercoat.
    What many people forget is you are trying to protect the underwater hull and not to make it look perfect.
    I spent a day at International Paints years ago and learned many tricks, at the end of the day I get 2 years 'IN' time between lift outs and the hull is sound and thats what I am mainly interested in.
    Regards
    Mike
    Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Refueler is offline Registered User

Last ? Dunno ... boat stayed in 4 yrs ... came out not so bad. Quick power wash off ... transported to Baltic where it's brackish water, antifouled first year - dropped back to old habit then when lifted and found her clean.

Anti-foul - thought the real stuff disappeared years ago.

Pye_End is offline Registered User

It seems to me that in years where we have a typical English summer then it will last 2 years, but for years where it actually gets warm then the growth beats the anti-fouling, requiring a scrub off, where you then lose paint thickness.