Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Default French inspect life jackets...

In this months PBO there is a letter from a chap boarded by French customs and he mentions that they inspected his flares and life jackets.

I was wondering what they are inspecting the life jackets for, because as far as I can see they do not have any dates at all on them, except the sealed gas bottles and those dates are not use by dates they are manufacturing dates. Were they inspecting to check if he had life jackets?
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Default Re: French inspect life jackets...

If like other European countries (including non EU Norway), they were probably just checking that there were lifejackets for all persons onboard. Fairly standard stuff.

but beyond their remit i believe for UK Reg boats
    I may be wrong but not always

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think you're correct but can't be sure. I don't believe that small UK reg pleasure yachts are required to have any lifejackets or flares, are they?

Or are they required to have lifejackets and flares when sailing in French (other countries) waters? Does anyone know the rules?

At the back of my mind I have an idea that Brit yachts need not carry flares but if they do they must be in date. Is this correct? I could be completely wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, right. So you're going to tell them that are you? I bet they will find something they can hold you, or impound the boat for (& possibly both)

It's daft enough telling a UK copper how to do his job, but I would definitely think better of doing that to a Froggie Official.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

No balls then [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Says the man who's now afraid to take a dump in cloggie waters [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    www.guapa.pn
    Everybody lies; but it doesn't matter because no-one listens.

is that past Landguard ish [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a red, blue or white ensign does not mean that when abroad you don't have to comply with that country's safety regulations.

In France you have to carry a lifejacket for each person on board - common sense really.
    OTOH, carrying a liferaft is not compulsory, but if you do have one it must be 'in date'. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Not really common sense - if you're not required to have one, what do they care if it's in date?
    www.guapa.pn
    Everybody lies; but it doesn't matter because no-one listens.

Seem to remember reading the other day that French 'Authorities' can now fine you if flares are out of date?
    Genuinely nice Sabre 27 STILL for sale. Somebody must want her?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast