Default Use of Borax to clean Algae off decks/Ropes

Hi,
    I was given a tip at the Soton Boatshow about using Borax to clean Algae off Teak. I have had a quick search on the forum and just find it is mentioned for use as a wood preservative/buffer/mold cleaner. Does anybody use Borax against the Algae on ropes/decks? Have bought some to try as is very cheap. Thanks for any help.

sarabande is online now Registered User

Default Re: Use of Borax to clean Algae off decks/Ropes

Have a quick read of the Safety Sheet here

http://www.borax.com/products1.html

Use the MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) column, and pick up the .pdf. The Hazard section 3 is relevant.

Then ask yourself about the effect it might have on the aquatic wildlife.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Stuff with the brand name Boracol seems to be the HR Owners Assoc favourite.

http://www.hroa.co.uk/forum/viewtopi...c8b2f72629b082
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Used Briton Mould and Mildew Remover (MMR) to good effect in the past. 15.95 -> 5ltr
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

Am asking partly because branded products like Boracol are partly based on Boron compounds. Re: Environment in previous mail: The boat is on the hardstanding. Also Boron in many cleaning products / uses/ and is a naturally mined Salt. (also used in food in China!).

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

This stuff is available off the shelf from many garden centres.

http://www.amenity.co.uk/webstore/pr...roducts_id=108

Just spray on in dry weather and leave - don't brush, sponge or anything. One application at the start of the season lasts the year. My teak decks are still spotless, and I have never brushed or sponged them - just a bucket or 2 or salt water every week when sailing. This way your decks will also last.....

pvb is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Am asking partly because branded products like Boracol are partly based on Boron compounds. Re: Environment in previous mail: The boat is on the hardstanding. Also Boron in many cleaning products / uses/ and is a naturally mined Salt. (also used in food in China!).

[/ QUOTE ]The boron-based ingredient in Boracol is disodium octaborate - this is a fungicide and will basically kill mould. The other main ingredient in Boracol is benzalkonium chloride - this is an algaecide and will kill the green stuff. Using borax may help, but your question was initially about getting rid of algae, and something like Boracol could be a more effective answer. It's relatively inexpensive to use (in boating terms), and very good.

As for what the Chinese put in food, you'll no doubt have heard of this week's death sentences for two of the people involved in the poisoned milk scandal!

chrisb is offline Registered User
    Location : circumnavigating at present New Zealand home port Milford Haven

following a tip on these pages last autumn with a link to north sails i tried dilute dettol.Very effective on sprayhood,ropes and wood.no damage apparent.2 tesco