Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: 100 litres of water

Do you mean wet as in wetted area, or wet as in water coming in form outside or inside from inside?

2. Default Re: What do you want in a review?

This is a good point, it has been covered before by staff here who say how difficult it is to arrange test sails; weather, availability, photo bods etc.

But I agree with you, there should be far more benchmark data that relates to other boats in similar classes and those in others. Any item that performs should have benchmark data to compare it with.

eg. Light displacement cruising boats could be compared to similar in performance terms etc and then against heavy displacement cruising boats. Then suitability for different types of sailing and sailing types. More comparitiveinfo on the boat's build. eg lay up data and construction specifics including commentary on strengths and weaknesses of same.

Many good suggestions above on running costs etc would be good. In general, a good cross section in a regular format.

What we don't want is (imho!) opinions a la Clarkson style, we have a few nutters on the forum who can that for us:-))

Default Re: A new format,,,,,

No? But you have to admit it's a new twist,,,,,,

IanW

Vertue 203, Patience
    Vertue 203, Patience

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Default Re: 100 litres of water

To see what happens if you take a greeny down the hatch. On a shallow bilged yacht the water will slurp, slop and slap about everywhere, making lots of things wet. On one with a decent bilge it will stay nicely put until pumped out.

Next time, it'll all be different.

5. Default Re: 100 litres of water

Are those the type of bilges that always seem to be half full of a dark diesel type watery sludge? Reminds me, must get a quote for a sprayhood for the occassions when a greeny manages to make it over the high and well heeled freeboard!

jamesjermain is offline Registered User

Default More please

Keep this one going.

All constructive suggestions gratefully received

JJ
    JJ
    Make mine a double

Default Re: What do you want in a review?

I would like to see much more emphasis placed on sailing and less on the interior (important though that is). The usual balance is that of 3 or 4 pages of review, only one or two paragraphs actually describe how the boat sails - and that very rarely expresses an opinion.

I appreciate that it is difficult to get a reasonable opinion of handling in the restricted conditions in which a review takes place - but the usual general comments about handling under sail don't really add anything to the readers knowledge

Default Re: What do you want in a review?

Depreciation over say ten years
    or if it is a new model the manufacturers average depreciation across the range

This maybe my memory playing tricks but why is a boat never team tested??
    why not have a a team including cruisers, novices, boys and girls perspective? that way you get a range of views

we often have owner's taking us through their boats but i find they are too 'through the keyhole' style, from people who have made their choice. they may actually hate the boat but v few will admit in black and white....'we've got this and wish we didn't'

i would also like a long term test. why not have a boat for say a season so you can find all the niggles and then report on its behaviour in awide raneg of locations/conditions.. car mags do it, and i think MBM have done it.

I would like a break down of price
    this is
    what it costs as a hull, rig, sails and engine
    and this is what the extras charge
    it would be most interesting to see what the manufacturers charge for warpsanchor fenders etc.

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    Remember. People only go to their MP when they have run out of anything practical to do.

Default Group tests

Bring 'em back

Four or five boats which serve ostensibly the same market. A three-day trip (Solent to Weymouth and back via Poole for example). Staffed up with readers (or Scuttlebutters) with or in the market for that sort of craft. Loads of boat swapping. See which one is 'readers choice' sort of thing. You might even throw in a 'golden oldie' as a comparison. Howsabout, for example...

Bav 32, Benny 331, Jenny SO 32.2, Hanse 311, Elan 333, Etap 32s, Hunter Legend 326, Hunter Channel 32 together with a a Contessa 32. Should do all the normal human stuff like sleeping, showering, sh*tting aboard, cooking, anchoring, plus some triangles to assess boat speed.

One or two of those a year would be good.

Default Re: 100 litres of water

>Are those the type of bilges that always seem to be half full of a dark diesel type watery sludge?<

Not any more, but it took me a day to clean them out!