Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thistle is offline Registered User

Default Your callsign and MMSI may not be unique

I asked Ofcom why my boat appears not to be in the http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mars/ship_search.sh database. They agree that my licences are correct and up-to-date. They are trying to ensure that my details are re-instated to the database. An e-mail reply from Ofcom today included the information that

"<span style="color:red">Due to customers now being able to apply online for Ships Radio licences this has caused the system to at times create duplicate call signs and MMSI numbers in our system. As you will fully understand this creates a major safety of life issue for all vessel owners ...</span>"

I think we should all search the ITU MARS database for our callsigns and MMSI numbers to ensure that (a) they are there and (b) are correct. Any problems should be reported to licensingcentre@ofcom.org.uk.

Default Re: Your callsign and MMSI may not be unique

I've confirmed that I am unique: Callsign 2BJQ5, MMSI 235066687.

Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

Loads of Flipper's but call sign and MMSI are unique.

Another busy day in the office then Brasso!

"<span style="color:red">Due to customers now being able to apply online for Ships Radio licences this has caused the system to at times create duplicate call signs and MMSI numbers in our system. As you will fully understand this creates a major safety of life issue for all vessel owners ...</span>"

[/ QUOTE ]

So it was not due to [--word removed--] database schema and transaction design then?

As the means of avoiding problems like this have been understood for decades and should be known by anyone who is even half competent, I presume it means they didn't have anyone even half competent to design their database system.

[ QUOTE ]
    Another busy day in the office then Brasso!

[/ QUOTE ]
    All in a day's work!

[ QUOTE ]

As the means of avoiding problems like this have been understood for decades and should be known by anyone who is even half competent, I presume it means they didn't have anyone even half competent to design their database system.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if!

The general lack of knowledge in this industry amazes me. I really have no idea how some people actually manage to get work writing applications and web software, because most people doing it are quite simply **** at their job.

Very annoying.
    http://onkudu.com 4 years living on a 21ft boat. 1 month on a 32ft.

Cantata is offline Registered User

I think I may have been one of the first to discover this, way back in about April last year. I applied online for an MMSI, was given one which was the programmed in to my new set, and I then found it was 'owned' by another vessel.
    Shortly after Ofcom admitted to me that the system had screwed up, they issued a statement saying that many people could be affected and that they were doing an audit to identify the duplicates. I got this all publicised in S.T. at the time.
    But this was last summer! What on earth have they been doing since?
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

StugeronSteve is offline Registered User

All's well with my registration, except for the missing Epirb ID!
    Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.

Boomshanka is offline Registered User

Mine still has the previous owner's name showing on the site [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] email to ofcom just fired off.
    Are we there yet?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign of a public sector union trying to maintain jobs. Why not get the computerisation right and do away with manual licensing altogether? Plus a few jobs.