Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pye_End is offline Registered User

Default Boat sunk - Thames Estuary

Default Re: Boat sunk - Thames Estuary

"This incident could very easily have had a different outcome."

Sounds about right !. Scary that she went down so quickly - no time for full mayday etc. An EPIRB could have helped, but so close to shore I doubt many of us (me included) would think of it.

Good to hear they all came through it.
    Life is just far far too short.
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/pipedreamii/

Cantata is offline Registered User

There are several concrete groynes sticking out from the N shore east of Gravesend and W of Coalhouse Point, submerged near HW but all usually clearly marked and lit FL.G.2.5s. Watch out!
    Lucky escape indeed.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

I was trying to remember exactly what it is like up there. Presumably day time, so should be able to spot it all ok. Are there any that stick out further than you expect? Not a boat you know presumably? Would be interesting to know what the boat was.

Lucky escape indeed with the temperature as it is just now, even so close to the shore.

Note to self - keep PLB in pocket of waterproof when next out.

I think they are all marked with posts as far as I remember. The lengths of groyne do vary.
    Trying to find out home of boat, name rings a bell with me.

Just been looking at Google Earth. There are loads of posts on the north side bank that stick out quite far round Coalhouse Point . I tend to stay on the south side till past the point, but maybe they didn't. Chart is on the boat so can't see what is underwater.

Perhaps Leon knows what happened.

I was at the boat yesterday doing some jobs and heard the mayday relayed by Thames Coastguard. Sounds awful as they didn't have time to give any details apart from 'taking on water and sinking' and thats where the call ended.

Glad everyones ok, could have been much worse...

Jack
    Sailing singlehandedly around the Uk in aid of RYA Sailability. Please Visit http://www.sail-the-dream.co.uk or contact me for more information

Thanks for the link. I was sailing on The Blackwater yesterday and heard Thames CG responding to the Mayday but not getting any reply. I thought the boat name sounded familiar but later realised that the name is just similar to a boat that moors near Bradwell.

A bit if a shocker and rather close to home.

Morgan

A bit more info.
    Boat indeed hit one of the groynes, it seems, as I mentioned above, which are indeed all marked. She sank so only tip of mast and sail was visible.
    She was raised by PLA later same day and is in their depot E of Gravesend.
    Still trying to find out whose she is. Not a Hollowshore member but I'm sure I've seen the name round here somewhere.

Have found a fuller report on the incident yesterday on RNLI's website.

http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/pr...ticleid=417657

Haven't ever been up this stretch of river. Been looking in Janet Harber's latest (19th) edition of 'East Coast Rivers'. On page 148 it says 'To help scour the Diver shoal, the PLA has built six groynes, exposed at low water, on the north side of the reach, marked by lit (Fl G 2.5s) beacons at their southern ends. The beacons are difficult to see coming up river by day and no better at night when the shore lights mask the beacon lights'. According to the RNLI report this incident happened in broad daylight (11 am) yesterday (Tuesday 17th). If they were travelling up river at the time, maybe they had difficulty seeing the beacon lights. That said, LW was 1246 yesterday (-1hr 15m ish at Tilbury) so the groynes would presumably have been clearly visible.