Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Default Re: 500 fine for flying Cornish etc ensign

In UK waters wearing a home country's flag probable gives more useful information about the boat and its owner than a proper ensign, however if a club burgee is also flown then I believe the correct ensign should be flown, with a national or regional flag at the starboard crostrees if desired (I must put my hand up as guilty here though as on my previous boat, which was an old working boat with fishing numbers, I usually flew our club burgee but only wore an ensign on special occasions, regattas etc).

The "Cornish Ensign" with a union flag superimposed in the corner does seem a superfluous (and probably illegal) variant to me.

A flag's purpose is after all to either convey a message or look pretty so a skipper can make his own decision so long as it is neither misleading or illegal.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't really feel very British

[/ QUOTE ] Is there anything we can do to help?

The British ensign isn't an English ensign, it's British. It's sole purpose is to identify the yacht as British. The use of a pretend ensign is a retreat into narrow corners defined by small geographical and ethnic criteria.
    Colvic Watson slideshow video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RayUzX7LZQ

[ QUOTE ]
    What an unnecessary post in a thread like this. Ocklepoint was simply pointing out that many Scots sailors are happy with both their national identity and their membership of the EU. The 'ensign' that OP flies represents this. It does not make him - or anyone else who flies that flag - anti-English.

[/ QUOTE ]

No- what he said was that many Scots werent happy with their British national identity preferring their regional Scottish identity and wanting to "move on" from the Union. Fair enough. I agree with him. I simply pointed out that it wasnt the rest of us keeping Scotland in the union as any number of polls have found English and Welsh support for Scots independance as high as 68% in favour.

The existence of anti English sentiment in Scotland is generally accepted and you can see it everywhere from the common reference to the "auld enemy", to Scots support for any sports team playing against England, to street violence in Scotland against people with English accents etc. Scots identity seems as much established by who they arent as who they are - but thats a Scottish problem.

An unnecessary post? I dont agree. The ensign is all about your nationality and flying another flag says something about what you think of it. So Ockle Point was absolutely correct when he raised the issue of nationality. All I've done is respond in kind. And incidentally I usually fly the Welsh Dragon!

does anybody know what the union flag with a white border is

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

"does anybody know what the union flag with a white border is"

Not sure of its name, but it seems to be reserved exclusively for the bows of RN ships, when parked.

Here's what the Andrew says about it:

"The national flag of the United Kingdom is worn as a Jack at the bow by all HM ships in commission when alongside or when 'dressed overall'. This is the only occasion when it is correctly called the Union Jack, although it is generally known by this name through common usage. It is also flown during Courts Martial and is the Distinguishing Flag of an Admiral of the Fleet."
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Refueler is offline Registered User

I'm with Simon on this ... I don't understand this divide the UK wish.
    Oh so many do't want to divide up the UK ? So what is the point then ? As another says fly the national Ensign and your own 'flag' if you must.

I'm English and proud to say I am - but I do not insist on flying St. G flag.

Trying to think of others who argue their patch of ground with flags ... Southern USA, but that's a collection of 'recognised' states anyway ... Basque - but bullets tend to fly with that ....

mmmmmm makes one wonder.

A Pilot Jack - to be flown at the stem.

Agree with you Simon on this one.

catmandoo is offline Registered User
    Location : The Earth but normally in the place of the high stream some where in Perthshire

I am Scottish but I fly the red ensign and my reason is history .

In the last hundred years or so ships from all over Britain have flown this flag and once our merchant navy sailed all over the world with it .

Why should I want to Change . I am British and proud of it

Some people with inferiority complexes would cut off their own dicks just to be different
    Ah, gentle dames! it gars me greet ,
    To think how mony counsels sweet,
    How mony lengthened sage advices,
    The husband frae the wife despises.

[ QUOTE ]
    A Pilot Jack - to be flown at the stem.

[/ QUOTE ]

...not used to request a pilot for very many years (Victorian or Edwardian times perhaps?)and may be flown by any vessel, the RN use the Union Jack (no border). Some of the few remaining larger British registered vessels fly the home flag (Scottish or Welsh) of their master at the jackstaff, old photographs show more extensive use of the Pilot Jack on passenger vessels.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast