Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Default Re: 500 fine for flying Cornish etc ensign

[ QUOTE ]
    smacks of nationalism which is IMHO definitely not wanted. I believe in the National Ensign

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah well, that's clear as mud . . .

- W

My point,sir, is that I am quite proud to be British and I am proud to fly the chosen ensign of the country I live in which is Gt Britain. Men and woman of these 4 countries that make up these lands of the British Isles (including Ireland) were,and continue to be, pround to serve in the defence of these islands,you will notice I include Wales.

It seems that the Cornish Ensign is recognised by some.
    I was once sailing in the Helford estuary, flying the Cornish flag as an ensign. The Royal Yacht Brittania passed by us and I dutifully dipped my ensign. The Royal Yacht dipped her ensign in return. When close enough I called to officers on deck asking them why they were not flying the Cornish courtesy flag !
    To many Cornish they certainly do not consider themselves as English. Probably an insult to refer to a Cornishman as English. There are many historical reasons for this which can be found elsewhere. However, how can Cornwall be part of England when the wages have always been so much lower. I have personally experienced when working for a company in which the pay rate for the same job in Plymouth (just over the border in England) was 50% more than in Cornwall !!!
    Cornwall has suffered for generations being on the end of the English boot and will continue to do so.

[ QUOTE ]

Quite simply because in the 5000 year history of Cornwall, it has only been considered part of England for about four hundred years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe your history is incorrect. Cornwall was paying Danegeld to what became the English by 1013 and had been absorbed into England by the time oif Edward the Confessor who dies in 1066. According to Wikipedia anyway. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

In the end I suppose the support for regionalism, for want of a better word, comes about because many people arent happy with the UK. They see it as a failure. As something negative. A country that isnt any good at anything much. And this reflect is the large number of people who would like to emigrate. By comparison, the US has far more nationalities in its populace but since they value being American, there is no Hawaian independance movement, or Alaskan etc.

In short successful countries are united. Unsuccessful ones break up.

[ QUOTE ]
    The Saltire is my national flag.

The Red ensign is the flag of an old union which I feel has outlived its usefulness.

The Euro ensign is the flag of a new union which I feel is much more relevant to the future.

I am happy to wear the ensign which displays the country from which I come and the Union to which my country belongs.

[/ QUOTE ]Ocklepoint, I find that post incredibly sad. In fact, I even find it insulting.

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you will find the flag of the union incorporates the cross of St David, who if I am not mistaken is the patron Saint of Wales

Mal

[/ QUOTE ]

The St David's cross (once used by the Church in Wales) is the same as the black and gold version of the St Piran's Cross (as used by Cornwall rugby team). I don't recall any black or gold in the Union Flag.

Matelot, Mercia, Northumbria, Wessex, Fife, Ireland, the Orkneys, Flanders, Normandy and many others payed Danegeld. It makes them about as English as drinking Carlsberg. What's your point?

[ QUOTE ]
    It seems that the Cornish Ensign is recognised by some.
    I was once sailing in the Helford estuary, flying the Cornish flag as an ensign. The Royal Yacht Brittania passed by us and I dutifully dipped my ensign. The Royal Yacht dipped her ensign in return. When close enough I called to officers on deck asking them why they were not flying the Cornish courtesy flag !
    To many Cornish they certainly do not consider themselves as English. Probably an insult to refer to a Cornishman as English. There are many historical reasons for this which can be found elsewhere. However, how can Cornwall be part of England when the wages have always been so much lower. I have personally experienced when working for a company in which the pay rate for the same job in Plymouth (just over the border in England) was 50% more than in Cornwall !!!
    Cornwall has suffered for generations being on the end of the English boot and will continue to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

This illustrates roughly 40% of the anti-English feeling in Cornwall, though it pales in significance compared with the ignorant biggotry of 'you're just like Dorset'. Unintended I am sure Robin, but that is, none the less, how it comes accross.

That said, I don't really think that the Royal Yacht, nor any other British registered vessell needed to wear a courtesy flag in Cornwall unless they are wearing an English/Welsh/Scotch/Irish ensign. If they wear a British ensign then why should they wear a courtesy flag in home waters?

Once a year, I am tempted to swap the 1 yard St Piran's cross on my port starboard signal halyard with the 24" ensign on my jackstaff to make people think... but it wouldn't work.

[ QUOTE ]
    The St David's cross (once used by the Church in Wales) is the same as the black and gold version of the St Piran's Cross (as used by Cornwall rugby team). I don't recall any black or gold in the Union Flag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I struggle to find people who can explain where the white in the vertical and horizontal lines of the Union Jack come from?

[ QUOTE ]
    To many Cornish they certainly do not consider themselves as English.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, they are not behind the door when it comes to selling their property (at ridiculous prices) to English City banking second homers. Thus denying their 'Cornish' decendents their birthright.

Or smugly ripping off all the 'grockles' (I think you call them) every summer. Without the 'grockles' you would soon be whingeing even more pathetically.

The dual standards are stultifying.

The dragon only been the Welsh symbol for a relatively short period, historically speaking, and its on a white and green background so can hardly be classed as being incorporated into the union flag, there seems to be some confusion regarding British, United Kingdom and Great Britain, not to mention the British Isles, and I don't think we should even get into what Eire did for us in the war. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] A long way from what we should or should not fly on the back of our boats isnt it, I prefer the Red Ensign although I sail mostly in Wales, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] does Wales have territorial Water?? Could be another cause for a rant or two [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Time is of the moment.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast