Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Got a Lofrans windlass?

Definitely. I had to replace a Royal because it had seized completely.

Was that due to lack of use? We use ours a lot and so far it seems fine. I have made some inquiries about servicing and lubrication but was told that apart from taking off the gipsy and rope barrel assemblym, there isn't much you can do.

The clutch on the gypsy seized because I never release it and hadn't realised I should take it apart and re-grease every 3 months. The shaft seized into the gearbox because it had never been taken apart. In future I will remove both and re-grease regularly.

I finally got the clutch apart today. I drilled through the socket and poured diesel in so it could reach the threads, applied a lot of heat and used an air wrench. The nut was knackered as was the seal around it and it turned out the cone clutch was cracked. The final cost will be around 180.

Both the problems were the result of a bronze component being a tight fit on the stainless shaft and corrosion forming between the two.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

It was when I first bought my previous boat, so I suspect that the previous owner hadn't really used it.

I have a Leopard vertical. It's been on the boat for 6 years (year round use) and I've never had it serviced.It goes up and down as requested.

Am I about to get my NON comeuppance ??

Mine had been fine for 7 years. The trouble started when the motor stopped working and had to be removed from the boat for repair (corroded terminals).
    One hull good, two hulls better.

I had aserious look at our LOFRANS KOBRA today

We bought the boat last season. The winch goes up and down fine under power. It goes up manually.
    BUT I cannot undo the clutch tri handle to allow the chain to free wheel down. I suspect it has never been used or maintained

Today inspired by this thread I tried penetrating oil for 24 hours, heat gun on the threaded spindle end, heat gun on clutch itselfand alarge mallet etc

It will not budge an inch

We are about to go long term cruising with alot of anchoring, do I get an engineer to apply major violence to it to get this spindle to move or do I just carry on using electric on the basis that it is working 80%

I feel I want it to work in all modes, but will the forces required to unseize this destroy something else?and end up with needing other parts?

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Personally I cannot understand why anyone would power an anchor down, when gravity does the job so much better.
    As well as giving more control, when you get older you will find that scrabbling around on the foredeck is less fun than it used to be.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

TQA is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Personally I cannot understand why anyone would power an anchor down, when gravity does the job so much better.
    Don't anchor in 50 ft plus then do you.

Letting it run free in deep water results in a pile of chain sitting on the anchor. Ask me how I know this.

Powering it down lets you keep control.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Roberto is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by the lloyds View Post

BUT I cannot undo the clutch tri handle to allow the chain to free wheel down.

I regularly use the handle to allow the chain to free-fall and it always works.
    At the beginning of the season though, after I totally unscrew the three prong lock, some times the chain gypsy would not move a millimeter, no matter what I try.
    Then all of a sudden for some unknown reason it begins to freewheel, and there you go for the rest of the season.

Just to give an indication that possibly a severe force is not needed to free the clutch.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/