Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default CE certification

So, i've been offered my friends bosses boat for 11K.

Its a Crownline 230 sc,identical to a CCR model. Year 2000
    Its immaculate with a stunning Continental 4wheel trailer, so you'd think 11K was a bargain.
    Well, it was imported about 3years ago,hardly used at all,has relevant paid up paperwork like vat etc but has no CE mark, and nor does it have a camper cover or tonneu cover.
    Is this boat worth pursuing,anyone here run a boat with no ce stamp. Boat does have a bimini, so does that mean that side covers could be fitted to it,thus saving on overall costs.
    Any views most welcome, oh, what would be the very rough cost to cover the boat as mentioned.
    Cheers Si

Kipper is offline Registered User

Default Re: CE certification

It seems like a good price and it shouldnt cost a lot to get it CE marked, I have done the work on many of them and there insnt a lot to it, its just paying somebody to advise and sort out the paperwork that seems to cost for some reason.

There are a lot of myths about US boats being a diferent quality but its rot, the main differences are in terms of Battery connections and Fuel lines and some safety features like the right warning stikers and such.

I have a US boat that was CE marked but we still changed the feul lines and upgraded the Battery cables and it only cost a few hundred quid.

Best advice is to look up a good CE consultant, price the work and add it to cost of boat and see if it still makes sense.

Gary

Yes, many thanks and i agree with what you say about why the expense for so little work. I'm pretty sure that anything the americans build is good enough for us if its good enough for them. Bloody regulations hisses me off. I knew at 11K it was too good to be true as an average price is around 16K if you can find one.
    Would still like to assertain a rough figure for the covers. 11K is really my budget and stretching things a bit.
    Cheers
    Simon

I'd guess at 500 - 800 for a camper cover, depending on quality and who does it, and assuming the bimini framework could be utilised, so no new metal bits needed.

ExcaliburII is offline Registered User

Not sure whether the bimini frame would be substantial enough to support a full cover in a bit of a blow, but if you judge it OK, then you could try Frank Rouse Motor Trimmers and Upholsterers in Cheltenham for a cheap solution if budget is tight. 01242 513394 - Ray Bevan is the man to speak to.

They made up a full cover in vinyl for my Bayliner in about 2001 iirc. It cost me circa 800 and was made to suit my old frame. I've only just replaced it last year, although it was only done in cheap non-marine stuff. (It was pretty gross by the time I scrapped it, mind! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) If budget is tight and you decide to go that route instead of pukka sunbrella or similar, choose a colour that won't fade in the sun - red is definitely best avoided.

I asked Frank Rouse to quote for a replacement cover (in sunbrella or equivalent to a completely different design) last year and they were v. expensive (2k) so I went elsewhere and got what I needed for 1,300.

Edited to correct phone number - dyslexia rlues [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Nothing is foolproof because the ingenuity of fools is limitless.

Appreciate that Excalibur, tis always a thought. Thing is, if Rouse were more expensive, where did you go for the cheaper option? :-)

I'd only have either one or the other, a full camper cover which is more expensive but more useful or a cheaper tonneu which is still useful but not so much.Difficult to overnight with a tonneu :-)

Many thanks Nick, amy ideas who could make one cheap enough. Would be excellent if the bimini metalwork could be utilised. Sounds a more realistic price. Boat is on south coast at present.

Well i'm assuming the boat is about 23', and the cover will fit over the bimini frame so will have a sloping back, whereas a full camper cover would have an additional frame member further aft, and the back of the canopy would be almost vertical.

Given my assumptions, I think a number of suppliers could make you a canopy in a copy acrylic (but not sunbrella) within the budget i've suggested.

Personally i'd use JB Services and get a premium job, but they may be more expensive. Mastertrim in Cannock would do a good job at a good price, but may be more difficult to get them to measure up if the boat is on the South Coast.

You could make a pattern up in thick polythene (from B&Q), then send it to mastertrim for them to make up in acrylic. I've done this lots of times (as my boat is in France), and i've been pleased with the results. You can buy a fastener tool for 30 or so, to fit all the press studs yourself. Depends how practical you are really

Alternatively search back on this forum, lots of people have reccommended cover makers for being good or cheap or both

mikej is online now Registered User

I had a US boat that was imported, there are a large number of them about as they were a huge bargain espescially when the exchange rate was more favourable.
    A few do get a CE plate here but most buyers do not bother as it is a bit of a rip off, it is mainly those which are imported commercially to be sold that are marked.
    Some US brokers can provide CE plates if asked.
    If you intend to keep the boat long term, I would happily buy it, then do what you are comfortable with.
    regards mikej

Dont know if the size of boat makes any difference to the price of obtaining a CE plate. 26ft self finish yatch was quoted at around 1200 five years ago,