Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Depth Finder & Fish Finder wassa difference

Previous threads about the above have got me thinking that this is a gadget we haven't got yet. What is the difference? they appear to do much the same job to me.

I don't want something that will work at speed especialy, just to help with anchoring and nosing around in close.

any suggestions? they seem to vary pretty wildly in price but the smaller Garmins look ok.

TIA

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>
    No. I was right the first time....

Default Re: Depth Finder & Fish Finder wassa difference

<font color=blue>In brief. An echo sounder just bounces a signal off the bottom and gives you a return (depth) Whereas a fish finder is more delicate (for want of a better word) and picks up intervening objects (fish) and shows them too. In short a fish finder is a very sophisticated echo sounder.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.oceaneagle.fsnet.co.uk>ht...r /> <br /> <A

Depth finder just tells you the depth, Fish finders show you the topography of whats below as well as telling you whats in between and the depth etc etc.

Have a look at the display in North Quay Marine when you pick up your anti sticky stuff then go online for a much better price as North Quay are very expensive in this dept.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me
    Dom

hlb is offline Registered User

Depth sounder just gives figures.
    Fish finder give a pretty picture showing bottom with lumps and bumps also fishy thingies floating about. I have been known to through a line over the side. Back up a bit till fishy thing is under. Then catch it. But it dont always work like that.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

Thanks Dom I will.

I like to be a little bit clued up when going shopping so that I don't make a complete DH of myself and end up getting sold what they have rather than what I need.

Regards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

When you find the model you like search for a good price on the net and then compare. You will find that robin at SeaQuest Marine will accept a little bit of haggling on price but you get 10% with your GBA Card any way.

If you havent got a GPS then you might want to get one of the combined units.

Dom

Being numerically challenged I'll go for the pretty pictures I think.

I don't actually like fish (coming from a family of fishermen thats always caused a certain amount of suspicion) so I'm more interested in avoiding the hard bits in the water.

Thanks

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

The GPS is already fitted. I've noticed that seaquest are open to a bit of persuasion. How do I get GBA membership? I haven't seen any forms or anything at the chandlers.

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfm is offline Registered User

If you want the best kit that will tell you whether the ground is rock or mud get something like the Koden colour, see post in Foreigner thread

<hr width=100% size=1>

When you go to SeaQuest ask for GBA membership form, simple form to complete then pay 7 and they fill out the card there and then for you. Allows you to have discount immediately.

Then go and buy your item and flash your GBA number. you have to tell them its GBA before you pay as they ring up a code on the till.

All this info will soon be in the GBA website I am having constructed as mentioned on Friday Night.

Membership available from all the chandleries except Boatworks + as they now have there own scheme for discounts.

Dom