Thread: Bukh 20

Default Bukh 20

Hi
    Is there a cold start proceedure on a Bukh 20 Dv
    No heater plug installed.
    Takes a long time to start in cold weather.
    Is there a cold start mechanism on the throttle like some of the volvo's?

Default Re: Bukh 20

I only know of the official Bukh Cold Start option which was a heater in the inlet side of the engine. If you don't have this then a very good battery will be needed to start on a cold morning with an engine that is past it's first flush of youth.
    Good luck.
    arTThur

There has been quite a lot of correspondence about this. Essentially, without an electric pre-heater, all the heat required for ignition is produced by the compression stroke. With a cold engine and cold intake air, it can take a while for enough heat to be generated for ignition to start. I have a Bukh DV10 and find that on the coldest days, cranking for 10 secs or so produces some firing but not enough for a sustained engine start. I let things rest for a few moments and then on cranking again it starts immediately. A starter battery in good condition is important. The condition of the engine is also a factor of course - especially the compression and the state of the injector. The guys at Bukh are very helpful and will give you tips for your specific engine although I must say that I was told to be sensible and stay at home through the winter. I ignored this advice and have never yet failed to get the thing started (famous last words?)
    Morgan

oldharry is online now Registered User

Because the Bukhs rely on cranking to get the cylinder temprature high enough, they do take a little time in cold weather, but it is absolutely essential that the starter develops the highest possible cranking speed. This means the starter motor and its associated wiring and the battery MUST be 100%. Even a 15 -20% drop in cranking speed is enough to make cold starting a real pain in cold weather.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

I pre heat the air intake with a blow lamp on a low setting.

When very cold I sometimes keep the blowlamp on whilst starting the engine.

Make sure there is nothing flammable lying around and you have no fuel leaks !!

Simple solution - give the engine a little throttle (make sure to disengage the gears though), crank her over with the decomp lever open for a couple of seconds until turning as fast as she will go then drop the decomp lever while keeping cranking, She WILL start, wait a few seconds and throttle back to tick over. Note - only needs a little throttle.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Thanks for all help
    Ill try the Cliff method folowed by Waterbuffalo if not sucessful
    But I do feel that the engine is of an age!!!

Do let us know how you get on....... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity