Thread: Star Globes

Default Star Globes

Can anyone help, where can I have my star globe updated to the current epoch?

I have a nice 6 1/2 diameter globe with 1975 epoch data and would like to bring it up to date.

Such a shame that few of these are around or used these days, I hope Bush switches off GPS for the war - it might persuade the lekkies (or is it lazies) to revert to traditional navigation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: Star Globes

I dont know anything about a newer star globe, but hope you are joking about the switching off of GPS.
    While there is no doubt that it is more convenient , the main advantage is that it is more accurate. In difficult conditions how big were your cocked hats?
    Feel virtuous if you want but be aware that you are relying on less accurate methods; maybe the lazy sailors show better seamanship in that respect.
    Fair winds to you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default turning off the gps

last time, they switched off selective availability for the duration so gps was better than normal.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Default Ah but...

...wasn't that because they didn't have enough military spec GPS units for troops and so were having to supplement with civilian ones? I would think that things should be different this time.

<hr width=100% size=1>Gavin
    <font color="blue">Gavin </font>

Default Re: turning off the gps

They won't be able to turn Selective Availability off this time - it's already turned off.

It was turned off permanently on May 1, 2000. That's why GPS is so accurate these days.

<hr width=100% size=1>