Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sailing the Leewards Video

Here is my fourth and new video in my pilgrims progress from MoBo to sailing cat.

It covers 13 days sailing in the Leeward Islands.

Its 72 minutes long - so pour yourself a drink first! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Its offered in three qualities in order of quality and hence bandwidth.

Large Version

Standard version

Small Version

If anyone is interested, the DVD version may be available soon if there is enough demand. Otherwise, pour yourself a drink and enjoy.

All comments welcome.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

Default Re: Sailing the Leewards Video

Interesting. I have to say that the boat's performance looked really disappointing. I wonder what more experienced cat sailors than me think? 6-7kn downwind in 25 kn of wind and a flat sea is not great! I would expect my much smaller and more agricultural cat to be doing a comfortable 10kn under those conditions and under headsails only.

I was looking at the smaller Privilege cats but have never sailed one, so very interested in peoples' thoughts.
    Usisafirie nyota ya mwenzio

Yes, I understand your point and agree.

What should be understood are the following factors.

1. Mike sailed the boat with as almost standard a double reefed main.

2. He had ordered a new set of sails and ordered the chartered version thinking these were amore durable version only to discover that they were in fact a smaller safer version with much less sail towards the top of the main for example than on the normal sails. So in effect we were using small sails that were reefed in.

3. The last downwind passage - the furled forward sail was rolled well in but even when out we did about 7 knots in 25 knots of wind.So still not any sort of performance to write home about.

Hope you enjoyed the video - ut does take some time to watch [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

Hi, on wap fone so no movie for me. Re speed downwind, clean bum and foldy props needed. Also big parasail, mine due soon. All these unlikely on charter boat?

Also downwind 130deg plus, dont use main on cruisy cat. Lots of fwd laundry. Clingfilm over guard wires worth .5kts

I have looked at a parasail for my new boat but am told that they do not work well on catamarans?
    It will be interesting to see how you get on with it.

Yes the boat was a charter boat (with skipper) and had taken a fair bit of bashing over its six years of life.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

The performance was a bit pedestrian but it looked like this was due to deficiencies in the equipment. Fear of a potentially jamming foresail and an obsession with keeping two reefs in the main seemed to restrict the potential.
    I would have thought that no main and a big headsail would have suited the boat better off the wind.

[ QUOTE ]

I would have thought that no main and a big headsail would have suited the boat better off the wind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly what I would have done. In fact my video (down there somewhere) shows a much smaller cat doing 8kn in an estimated 10-15kn wind with headsails only. I guess if they were worried about a big headsail jamming, it is understandable not to have too much out in over 25kn. Hanked-on has its advantages!

But even so, I am surprised at just how pedestrian it was and would like to understand as I am thinking about looking more seriously at the Privilege cats. Was it very overloaded ?
    Usisafirie nyota ya mwenzio

Coming from power boats I am not an experienced cat sailor.
    What I can say is that it is the slowest cat I have been on in trying out cats before choosing my St Francis.

I have watched a video of a St Francis doing 19 knots in like conditions.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

Excellent stuff Gludy.

Very entertaining.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast