Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sailing the Leewards Video

Here is the video (not mine) taken of the St Francis doing over 20 knots

Clik here
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

Default Re: Sailing the Leewards Video

I would'nt trust one of those two hulled (or even three hulled) things off shore but they sure look fun skidding around the bay.(turn the music up).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWINygISxDE

Default excuses for slow privilege

um, first i supose the liveaboardy cats nearer 40 feet will likely be slower than those nearer 50 feet - almost the very same gear but that much shorter on LWL. Second, the conditions in which the st francis on the video got 19-20 knots didn't much seem to me as similar conditions tho i didn't sit thru the whole unedited 72minute gludy video - in truly similar conditions tho, i would have thought most cats would get up some good speed in teens- he had fast rolling big following sea - and hence posted the video. But max surf speeds quite different from true averages - he was dropping back to at least low teens and took the camera away.

The skipper on gludy's boat had limited sail set, and seemed (quite reasonably with just himself as crew, guests on board etc) to be well reefed down.

Most important in those (st francis video) conditions would need decent downwind sails, parasail or at least a big gennaker. Whereas the gludy charter privilege had only a single foreail, and quite a stingily cut one at that.

And yep, the privilge in owners form at least must be a whole load of wood trim and an extra half-hull (that middle nacelle for full-width 7metre wide owners cabin) heavier than typical 4-coffin layout and a lighter fitout. Takes your money etc etc.

Hope gludy's doesn't have a galley down like that seemed to be, seasick cooking, urgh? Galley up for owners version imho.

Default Re: excuses for slow privilege

TCM
    Yes the longer the WEL the faster the boat.
    Yes the conditions were not the same ... obvious.
    Yes ... we were well reefed down as cleary stated on the video.
    Yes- the cat in my video had charter sails that were smaller than normal sails.
    The charter boat was the 4 berth coffin layout not the full width owners version.
    No - I do not have a galley down - we have galley up with a pantry down.

Having said al of that, I did not find the charter boat a fast boat ..... that is all I am agreeing with when it was pointed out.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

Default Re: excuses for slow privilege

[ QUOTE ]
    tho i didn't sit thru the whole unedited 72minute gludy video

[/ QUOTE ]
    For the record, The video is edited all the way through. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

Default Parasail

Hi !

I have done two Atlantic crossings with a Parasailor.
    Up the sail in Gran Canaria and down in St. Lucia.
    Very simple, very effective.
    You can feel how they pull the bows of a cat up - exactly what you want.

Cheers

Sail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12