Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    blueb is offline Registered User

Default Eberspacher Heater Fault Codes

The heater on my bavaria 34 worked for an hour but when we tried again about four hours later it failed to start up. On self diagnosis it shows code 48. Does anybody know what code 48 means and do they know how to cure the fault? Is there a manual for maintenance available to anybodys' knowledge?

Greetings from a misty Thames Estuary and many thanks for any help offered.
    Home waters Thames Estuary and East Coast

Default Re: Eberspacher Heater Fault Codes

Manuals can be downloaded from

http://www.espar.com/html/service/do...technical.html

From the diagnostic manual, fault code 48 looks to indicate fuel metering pump open circuit, so sounds like a wiring problem between the heater and the fuel pump, or else the pump itself has burnt out.

Hope this gets you going.

Chris

Hi Chris, That's really usefull. I've printed the manual and will now be able to start checking things out.

Many, many thanks, Bryan

CliveG is offline Registered User

I get this code every now and then.
    I think it is caused by a poor connection in the plug on the fuel pump.
    Try cleaning the contacts in the plug and the pump.
    Dyslexia ruels k.o.

Hi Chris,

Have checked wiring to fuel pump and all is OK, clean and dry but the body of the pump is very hot after trying to start. Does this indicate that the pump is broken and needs changing? Many. many thanks for helping me with this.

Bryan

Dunno, but there is an easy way to check if the pump is working standalone and not connected to the rest of the heater:

Disconnect the fuel pipe somewhere on the output side of the pump, and rapidly connect and disconnect some 12v power supply to the two terminals on the pump. The polarity doesn't matter. Every time you pulse the pump, there should be an audible click/tick from it and a small amount of fuel should spit out of the outlet side. In the manual there is a test somewhere to check that the amount of fuel it is metering is correct (something like meaure how many cc's of fuel it pumps in 100 clicks) but I think all you need to figure out is if its pumping or not, so a quick go. no go and it should be obvious if the pump itself is broken.

Since the fault code is saying that the pump is open circuit I'd also try measuring the resistance across the 2 pump terminals with a multimeter, to try to figure out if the "open circuit" is in the wiring to the pump, or inside the pump itself. But if the pump is getting hot, its hard to see how the coil can be open circuit...

The other thing with these pumps is that there is a small filter gauze hidden inside them which could be blocked, and would stop fuel getting through but I doubt that this would cause any electrical fault code with the pump, just that the heater would try to start and fail (52, startup safety time exceeded, or eventually 50, too many startup attempts which would then need the fault code memory to be cleared before it tried again)

My one experience of fault codes was a different (but maybe related one). I was getting fault code 60 open circuit temperature control circuit. In the end it turned out to be a hairline crack on a PCB inside the heater where the connector was that the temperature sensor was connected up to.

Hope something in here helps get you going again soon ... if not at least summer is coming and you have a bit of time...

Have now tested fuel pump and it is working fine standing alone. Have also traced the wiring and all connections and all look absolutely dry and clean. It all worked fine and then after a three hour rest refused to start again. Using the manual I also note that the fan does not start when the starter is pressed so the start-up cycle is not even starting. I can't think of anything else to look at other than to call in an engineer to carry out a service and repair. I have also checked every fuse I can find and all seem to be fine. Do you have any other thoughts before I take this action.

Many thanks for all your help, Bryan

Yes that is a bit of a mystery. I think you didn't mention which model of heater it is, but I'm wondering if it could be nearly the same fault as my heater had, a PCB crack making the pump appear open circuit to the heater. On mine it was the temperature sensor connection that was cracked, and it ran intermittently very much like you are describing.

I think these hairline cracks can happen on big connectors that are temperature cycled by the heater...for this to happen I guess the pump has to be directly driven by the heater unit itself which is why I was asking about the model, that would be more likely with something like a DL1Cc rather than an older DL1C which has the seperate controller box.

I believe the heater will first run all the diagnostic tests and measure the resistances of the pump, sensors etc as soon as it tries to fire up and if any of them are wrong it just won't go any further with the start up cycle. So I think thats why the fan doesn't even start...

So about all I can think you do is trace the pump wiring back further into the heater itself (take the cover off). On mine the crack was so small you wouldn't even notice it...

Otherwise, I can't think of anything more to try if all the wiring to the pump is fine.

Chris

On the D2 Airtronics that I have had that have had the ECU fail, that is the fault code that comes up. If the pump is hot it means that the ECU has been feeding continuous voltage to it instead of pulsing?
    Stu

Thanks for that Chris. Mine is a D4 and only about four years old with maybe 10 to 20 hours run time. I'll run a few tests on the items you mention and failing that I'll send the unit to one of their service agents and get it bench tested. Unfortunately there are no Eberspacher service outlets near to Swale Marina which is near Faversham. Just out of interest I'll let you know the final outcome.

Many thanks again for your support, Bryan