Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Event off?

Default Event off?

It seems we cannot get anywhere near the £20sih a head we've done previously. The cost is likely to be over £40 a head before taking MDL's generous contribution, which would bring it nearer £35 a head, which seems excessive for a buffet type meal. Any comments or ideas?

Default Re: Event off?

Is there anywhere / anyone nearby willing to host a private meeting / BBQ where we all bring something to eat and drink and share the preparation and cleanup ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Is it the cost of the food that's the problem? If so, and you think the £35 a head would put too many people off, then my suggestion would be to make the food more basic. I'd have thought the event is more about drink and company, than food, anyway.

Edit: maybe use off site caterers rather than the on site restaurant, if their price is too high. Easy to find in Yellow pages, and as I say, the quality of the food isn't critical to the event IMO.

I know how much hassle it is to organise things like this, so well done so far!

Sorry Brendan but there's no way I'll be able to sell it to SWMBO at £35 a head.
    ۞

It's primarily the cost of the marquee, hire of chairs and tables, cutlery, glasses, staff etc. The food can be made more basic, but the fixed costs don't come down. The marquee alone is coming to over £2000.

We can't use the restuarant, as that would mean closing it to other users, and that doesn't seem to be an option.

I for one hope it still goes ahead, the last one was a great night and a fab way of getting to meet fellow forumites.
    Look here for marine electronics and safety gear at the best prices

www.marvinmarine.co.uk

Well, you've done the hard work in getting 100 people to get a date in the diary, so it would be a shame to call it off completely. If all else fails, make it a muster, and forget the marquee, or just have a small marquee with a bar. If anyone complains, ask them to organise the next one.

Have you tried the local Scout Association for the renting of a large marquee?

They have moved in on this market and you might find a Scout Group who has one that would be suitable at a lesser cost?

£2,000 does seem rather a large sum for technically just a weekend and I do appreciate that it has to be erected and dismantled afterwards. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

Really sorry to read this Brendan as you've put such a lot of effort into it. I don't know Mercury but if there's only about 100 of us, could we not just meet in the bar without a marquee and buy our own food/drinks? Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion but I don't know the set up/space or facilities available there.

I wonder if The Bugle (downstream) or The Jolly Sailor (upstream) or even The Spinnaker (even further upstream) could handle 100 visitors?

Just a thought. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast