Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BIG TROUBLE

philip_stevens is offline Registered User
    Location : live near Saint Ives, Cornwall, moorings at Falmouth, laid-up at Penzance

Default Re: BIG TROUBLE

[ QUOTE ]
    the drain plug? Is there one even?

[/ QUOTE ]
    On the 2003, there is a drain plug, at the gearbox end, and a sod to get to. That's why I do as he does/did, and suck it out through the dipstick tube.

I didn't realise it was there until we lifted the engine out for a major rebuild. That's another story. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Use something that will screw into the hole in the plastic pipe without too much downward pressure - essentially a woodscrew (I'd go for one of those 'toothed' ones such as sold by screwfix) of the correct diameter attached to a rod. Obviously you want to be sure you don't end up with metal stuck down there as well though!

This is my last shot at this despite my contention that it probably won't do any harm:
    It is unlikely you are going to get anything to engage in the end of the tube. Even if you can SEE the end of the tube it will probably simply push further down the bore or rotate.
    The only way of employing a screw to get the damn thing out is to get a woodscrew or similar with a major diameter close to the bore of the the dipstick hole and rotate this clockwise as you gently run it down the dipstick hole. The idea being to crush the plastic against the side of the dipstick hole and draw it into the gap between screw thread and bore - if not bite into it - at least get a good enough grip to pull the whole lot back up the dipstick hole.

You don't need a lucky accident like you do to get a screw into the plastic tube - its probably gonna engage it anyway.

The OP is probably now completely disinterested [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] - but he did challenge us all!
    Missed my opinion? - No problem! - Someone elses will be along in a few minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure the correct advice is to remove the sump and remove the object but as this will almost certainly mean removing the engine too, I'd be inclined to let the object RIP in the sump pan!

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend once dropped the sump on a new(used) motorbike to clean the sludge trap - after he found two washers and a nut nestling in a corner, he wished he hadn't!

That said, I ran a half a TDC-seeking pencil through the plug-hole of an engine once and it's still running...
    "when the ship arrives in a wine country, there the master shall procure them wine to drink." Article XVII, Rules Of Oleron

Can we get two points clear:

Is it or is it not still stuck in the dipstick pipe?

Is it really only the size of a biro refill? I'd have thought it would take several years to suck a sump full of oil up a biro refill - or do you mean it's the size of the biro itself?

Is it really so difficult to lower the sump a bit? I've just replaced a Volvo (car) oil pump by dropping the sump about 2" and getting my hand in. If you can lift the engine an inch or two, slacken the sump bolts on one side or end and remove the others, can't you pivot the sump open enough to get a bent coathanger in to hook the pipe?

Further inspiration. If the tube is still stuck in the pipe, heat up a wire coathanger until the end is red hot and gently feed it down until it rests on the plastic. Wait until it has cooled, then haul it up.

Assuming the little sucker is still nicely wedged in the dip-stick tube, how about a small fishing hook attached to some line and mounted on one of those disgourger things. Slip down the hole INSIDE the sucker, a little sideways pressure and hook it out?

Or, if its nice and tightly wedged, a piece of braising rod with a tiny bend at the end (a hook) - pass right through the sucker and catch the lip at the other end and gently pull it out.

heated wire coat hanger or self tapper on stick are most plausible solutions IMO.

The tube on a Pela that you stick down the pipe is the outside of a brake cable of a bike, the oil does come thru it quite quick,
    Stu

Frankly - you don't seem to have tried any of the suggestions given so why not...

Open your wallet and pay someone else to do the job for you?

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast