Default Captain preparation

We have discussed preparing the boat, but what about preparing the captain:

Building experience.
    Qualifications.
    Fitness:
    Mental state: (lift this open for the jokes)

Default Re: Captain preparation

[ QUOTE ]
    Building experience

[/ QUOTE ]

I have extensive building experience, but I'm not sure how applicable it would be - not much call for plastering and brick laying offshore [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Never be at a loose end with the http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...el/bowline.jpg [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<span style="color:red">New!...</span>Warrior/Challenger/Voyager owner's website at http://longkeel35.org.uk

Bonjour
    -----------
    Building experience
    ----------
    Experiment :
    - over-exhausting,
    - cold,
    - under eating or drinking,
    - oversail,
    - over wind,
    - behind breaking sea,
    - near-collisison,
    - near wrecking...

And try to survive .... experience will come.
    Eric
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
    Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire complique ?

Kilter is offline Registered User

Maybe in a concrete boat? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Light travels faster than sound this is why some people appear bright until you hear them

Kilter is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Mental state:

[/ QUOTE ]

Be sure you are happy with your own company for however long it's going to take.

Take something along for recreation..at some stage you need to relax.

A tot can be a suitable reward or relaxer too many tots could lead to disaster!
    Light travels faster than sound this is why some people appear bright until you hear them

Seriously though, experience must be the number one - everything else follows from that. Not necessarily singlehanded afloat, but building up self-reliance outdoors. For example I have always felt that many years of remote area mountaineering has been of huge benefit to my solo sailing - you learn when you have to let things happen, and when to be proactive.

Go up to Scotland and spend a few days crossing Rannoch Moor on your own - it certainly feels remote!

Knowing that the only way to get out of the sh*t is to do it yourself is a great concentrator for the mind [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Fitness is something that fortunately I haven't had to put a lot of thought into, but a passage of couple of days creates discomfort in my back and legs as I get older, as muscles become accustomed to sailing movement.

Appetite is also a problem for the first few days for me and I have to force the calories down.

At least knowing these effects allows me to prepare both physically and mentally, and to keep an eye on myself.

Experience has taught me 2 very important things - carry spare hats and gloves, cos I'm always losing them overboard. And take several spare pairs of specs [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Never be at a loose end with the http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...el/bowline.jpg [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<span style="color:red">New!...</span>Warrior/Challenger/Voyager owner's website at http://longkeel35.org.uk

Just set off! If you've prepared the boat properly and have got plenty of drive and a can do attitude everything else will work itself out!