Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Chart Plotters; behind the times?

Have just bought a Lowrance 5150c, its magic! dead easy to use, go here to download an emulator of all their range, can then try before you buy.
    http://www.lowrance.co.uk/en-gb/Down...uct-Emulators/
    Stu

yep, i've got a 5150C too... great bit of kit for the price... and very easy to use....

And I too have been sailing long enough to have made landfall by spotting a light and taking a bearing off it, along with dipping distances on more than one occasion..... and I too still carry a good set of pencils, an excellent pencil sharpener, and a decent rubber on board... a hard habit to get out of... and RDF... well what can I say.... anyone who used it will know what I mean.... the wonderful ability to confrim that you are somewhere in a 3 mile square patch of water.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    and RDF... well what can I say.... anyone who used it will know what I mean.... the wonderful ability to confrim that you are somewhere in a 3 mile square patch of water.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I used an RDF, the best we could do was confirm we were in the Irish Sea [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - and that was good enough for us in those days [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I also have a Lowrance, (an older one, with a 3 at the front), with an internal aerial - sivels at the wheel, so we can see it from anywhere in the cockpit - excellent value for money!!
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

When I used an RDF, the best we could do was confirm we were in the Irish Sea - and that was good enough for us in those days

I could get closer than that Off Vancouver Island using a domestic pocket tranny and the local city radio stations.

I still carry a tranny on board with no alc afc gizmo's so that should the fog fall I can use Radio Forth Radio one and the EDI DME to help me find the way home.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Refueler is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Having said that GPS chartplotters are wonderfull and with an autopilot make sailing in both the good times and the bad times a lot easier, especially single handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can certainly agree with that. Sandhamn to Gotland .. Gotland to Ventspils in 2007. That's two legs of approx. 90 miles odd each..... approx. 18 - 20hrs.

Just before exit Sandhamn fairway autopilot stops working, little later other guy on board falls ill ... Mal de Mer.

Plotter was a god-send allowing me to steer and look after boat without having to keep plotting manually with the accompanying loss of control of boat. After about 14 hrs and Gotland appearing ahead - we get surrounded by incredible electrical storm ..

I can say without hesitation - without the Plotter - that would have been a nightmare leg.

So we leave Gotland later after rest and trying to get tillerpilot fixed ( knackered board ... so unfixed ). Crew and I swap helming at intervals and still we are both tired ... we arrive 10nm of home port - Ventspils. Engine died. This is not funny ... Ventspils is a busy commercial port and strict rules against boats sailing in / out. Plotter gives me all the info I need at hand without leaving helm - I can call and discuss with Port Traffic Control .. giving accurate info for him to slot me into movements after giving special permission to sail in.

Again the plotter was invaluable.

Of course it's all possible without a plotter .. I was trained as a ships navigator long before GPS came about. But why make job harder than necessary ? It is a recognised navigation tool accepted by authorities .. so why this knocking of it that seems to prevail ? I don't advocate blind following of it as some have done to their misfortune, but it can and will save an awful lot of work, save the day in cases .. ie position info in Distress VHF tx. etc.

I will not venture far without my Lowrance 3500C plotter - even boxing it up and taking it on others boats !! Delivering a boat last year - lucky I did carry it .. the Raymarine integrated unit on it was terrible and so darned hard to use ... I set-up my Lowrance on the chart table ... antena laying next to chart .. switched on and bingo - locked on .. away we went.

I read a lot of posts and sorry to say it .. I think some need to get out there a bit more and realise that GPS has become part of the real world ... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Must admit I agree with the OP. Got a C80 on my boat (inherited) and after 4 days of tring to use it I was back to paper charts and a gps. The screen is too small, the operations are clunky and its in the wrong place (chart table) but its not practical to put it in the right place (cockpit).

Maybe just a case of getting used to it but at the mo I'm not impressed.

Mind you, computer nerds are bound to react they way your Norwegian pals did. But then itf the plotter had been designed by computer geeks, it would consume leccy faster than a fan heater, frequently dish out error messages, provide you with way more info than you could ever use, be comprehensible only to other geeks, and need updating on line every week. And above all it would do things just to prove they could be done.

maxi77 is online now Registered User

I agree, using one of those portable things in the middle of the channel do not give the best results. Mind you even with a good (as fitted to one of HMs grey war canoes) HFDF set working on RDF bearings was only marginally better than using Consol, remeber those dots and dashes?
    Peter

Refueler is offline Registered User

Hu Hum ... NOT my Norwegian pals ! That's another poster.

What I'm waiting for is the day a manufacturer finally get's of this blinkered market stance and provides a plotter that can be programmed with users choice of plotting software / charts.

Imagine a plotter - waterproof to IPX7 or whatever .... YOU can decide what plotting program to install, you can decide what charts etc. If you need keyboard etc. - easy radio linked job or as a PDA does - an onscreen stylus job.

But then of course manufacturer would then have to build a good machine instead of the present ... and use up to date processors instead of outdated stuff that has slow processing and redraw etc.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]