Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default I\'m tempted to go back to a Flybridge.

Bought the SS Portofino 34 last Nov after deciding my Baliner 2858 fb was too small.....

Dilema: not too sure at all if I like the sportscruiser canvas rear style of boat!

Have given it six months but I think I still prefer a flybridge and infact I'm hankering to back to one! oops

So do you reckon anyone would want to swap a half decent fb boat for my SS of about the same length?

I do not want to put anymore money into boats at this time as the SS has cost me the best part of 4k in upgrades and essential maint since purchase.

Am I being realistic in asking this question?

Your thoughts please gents.

Rob.

Default Re: I\'m tempted to go back to a Flybridge.

Most sane folks start with some sort of sports boat,but find out very quickly as its downsides once you realise it does not make you under any circumstances....cool.
    Problems start with
    Hobbit sized sleeping accomodation
    Exposure to elements from all directions
    Total inability to move round boat once under way without a degree in mountaineering esp trying to go forward.
    You cannot stay on the front underway without being thrown around all over the place and also have to hang on for grim death with your watering eyes announcing to all that you would like it all to stop ..... Now PLEASE.
    You cannot stay on the rear sunpad cos as the boat rears up to go,you are in immediate danger of sliding off and getting minced in the props.
    The daft" in a circle " seating in the cockpit is impossible to stay upright on.

You always have to spend a least an hour after everyone else has gone home.
    A, Removing seats to get at the chrome bits of stick and the heavy canvas covers hidden away under the seating.
    B, Working out which bit of stick goes into which.
    C, Working out which bit of the blue canvas goes where.
    D, The increasingly bad tempered attempts to stretch C over B without pulling pressstuds out of glassfibre or a another 6ft zip jamming half way closed.
    This does not of course apply to the Fairline 43 or any other sports boat owned by any forumite ever . [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

hlb is online now Registered User

If I'd wanted to go camping. I'd have bought a tent. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Let's compare two similar sized flybridge and sportscruisers: S34 and F34.

"Most sane folks start with some sort of sports boat,but find out very quickly as its downsides once you realise it does not make you under any circumstances....cool."
    - I was never cool in the first place, so no change there.

"Problems start with
    Hobbit sized sleeping accomodation"
    - Accomodation is about the same on both, unless you include sleeping at the helm, or across the galley on the fly? Need to do the washing up first for this option.

"Exposure to elements from all directions"
    - And being up on the flybridge is protected???
    - How many flybridges sub-50ft do you see being helmed from indoors?

"Total inability to move round boat once under way without a degree in mountaineering esp trying to go forward."
    - Same for both, except that falling off the flybridge or down the steps REALLY hurts.

"You cannot stay on the front underway without being thrown around all over the place and also have to hang on for grim death with your watering eyes announcing to all that you would like it all to stop ..... Now PLEASE."
    - Same for both.

"You cannot stay on the rear sunpad cos as the boat rears up to go,you are in immediate danger of sliding off and getting minced in the props."
    - You'd miss your props. Missing the boat following you might be more of a challenge.

"The daft" in a circle " seating in the cockpit is impossible to stay upright on."
    - Some do, some don't

IMHO, the real difference between the two is the desire to be "indoors" or "outdoors". The upside of a flybridge is having a decent properly watertight lounge for the evening. The upside of a sportscruiser is the single level cockpit area for the daytime.

Also: the driving experience - have you ever seen a flybridge doing tight turns at 25kts for the sheer hell of it?

dv.

LOL sharp as ever Fred.

Erm S28........ and what about those poppers and zips Fred mentioned, which you avoided? :~)

Canvas in general is a pain. If you can leave it off, then great, which might be appropriate for a med boat. Not going to work too well in the UK.

The back screen on the fly is very similar to the sports cruiser.

The front screen is obviously an extra on the sc, but then again you've got the flybridge cover as well? I suppose you could not put the flybridge cover on, so what's underneath would either go green or get bleached depending on location.

hlb is online now Registered User

My fly never has covers on, whilst cruising, just when I leave the boat. The conservatory may stay on all summer, or come off for a few months, dependant on weather. Last couple of years, it's been on all the time. Before that, it came off about March and on by October. So no big deal really.

If it rains, just shut the door. When the sun comes out, open it. Job done. Had a sports type once. Never again.

[ QUOTE ]
    - have you ever seen a flybridge doing tight turns at 25kts for the sheer hell of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

We spin doughnuts almost every time we go out [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry S28, I agree with most of your posts , they usually make good sense but OG has this one spot on [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The best bit about a Flybridge is you dont have to leave the sports boat 'cool sensation' behind all the time, any time you feel like recreating the experience you can stand up at the helm and get someone to throw buckets of salt water in your face

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

EddieA is offline Registered User
    Location : Lives: Richmond, West London. Boat: Southsea Marina

Is that Felix Pete?

Hi Eddie,

That was the last flybridge, here's Felix playing [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And on close up, note the splashes well above my head but we were perfectly dry [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Felix really heals over on a doughnut, especially when my daughter presses the trim tab to push us over even more [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(S28, they were taken 20 miles into an 80 mile passage, just for the sake of it )

Cheers

Pete