Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Elessar is offline Registered User

Default Re: I\'m tempted to go back to a Flybridge.

Rob I think the trouble is a 34ft sportcruiser is the equivilent of a smaller fly.

If I think Sealine, I think my S37 is like for like with a F33 in terms of costs, useable space etc and that an F37 is a bigger boat and not a fair comparison.

So comparing the S37 and F33 I get a better ride and when there are more than 4 on board the S is far more sociable as the party doesn't get split. Also kids don't have to go out of sight on the S.

I hated the covers when I first got her but when I invested in a new set, putting them up and down is quick and easy. Not as good as an SC38 I grant you but I can't afford one of those. I have the choice of driving undercover in bad weather, all heated and demisted, wind sheltered but still in fresh air with just the back down or the full sun experience. We had all 3 modes during the day last sunday. Downstairs driving on my old fly in bad weather I found difficult because of the visibility and for all the complication of 2 stations I rarely used the lower station.

I loved my baby fly (which was identical to Robs old boat a Bayliner 2858) but I'm delighted with my S37 and have no real desire to change.

I can see why people like both though, I can't see why people like putting the other type down.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    - Accomodation is about the same on both, unless you include sleeping at the helm, or across the galley on the fly? Need to do the washing up first for this option.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, can't be true 'coz the whole lower deck of a flybridge boat is generally allocated to sleeping cabins whereas a sports cruiser has to incorporate the saloon downstairs as well. For me the difference in the saloons is one of the biggest differences. On a sports cruiser it's generally poky and dark whereas on a f/b it's generally much bigger, lighter and you can see out. No contest. Also, having had both canvas top sports cruisers and f/b boats myself, I found the fight with the camper top on the sports cruisers I had to be a real PITA

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree about the saloon being less poky and lighter on a fly.

Still not too sure about the accomodation though: taking the Sealines as an example, it's just all shifted around. To make the FB, the saloon goes up and back, the mid cabin moves forward etc... S42 shows how to do it when it comes to making the lower deck feel big on a sports cruiser.

dv.

"I can't see why people like putting the other type down"

Cos everyone knows just how "sensitive" you lot are and even worse are the owners of Seali...........Oops [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

nicho is offline Registered User

I don't think anybody has mentioned the ridiculous looking flybridge "stoop". You've all seen them, standing on top of the flybridge whilst manoeuvering in close quarters, with their back arched over the ridiculously low steering wheel and throttles!!

All flybridge boat drivers adopt this pose and remind me of that old peoples roadsign you see near old folks homes [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've had two flybridge boats and got fed up with being deserted by visitors complaining of the cold after 10 minutes and going below [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). I was never comfortable with driving a flybridge boat from down below - it never did feel right somehow.

A good sports boat, with hardtop and well fitting canopies can be as warm as toast in the cockpit in the middle of winter and is the best option (IMHO of course [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).

mikef is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think anybody has mentioned the ridiculous looking flybridge "stoop". You've all seen them, standing on top of the flybridge whilst manoeuvering in close quarters, with their back arched over the ridiculously low steering wheel and throttles!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm, a rather bizarre reason not to like f/b boats. Personally, being an idle sod, I always helm sitting down even close quarters in a marina

[ QUOTE ]
    I was never comfortable with driving a flybridge boat from down below - it never did feel right somehow.
    A good sports boat, with hardtop and well fitting canopies can be as warm as toast in the cockpit in the middle of winter and is the best option

[/ QUOTE ]

Most odd. On the sports cruisers I've had, the windscreen always steamed up with the canopy closed and no canopy ever built is totally leakfree with tons of spray being thrown over the top. With a f/b helm, you're further forward which helps viz, the windscreen is usually bigger and there's usually windscreen blowers for demisting plus there's no leaks. And heating or aircon too. All IMHO too [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm, a rather bizarre reason not to like f/b boats. Personally, being an idle sod, I always helm sitting down even close quarters in a marina

[ QUOTE ]
    I was never comfortable with driving a flybridge boat from down below - it never did feel right somehow.
    A good sports boat, with hardtop and well fitting canopies can be as warm as toast in the cockpit in the middle of winter and is the best option

[/ QUOTE ]

Most odd. On the sports cruisers I've had, the windscreen always steamed up with the canopy closed and no canopy ever built is totally leakfree with tons of spray being thrown over the top. With a f/b helm, you're further forward which helps viz, the windscreen is usually bigger and there's usually windscreen blowers for demisting plus there's no leaks. And heating or aircon too. All IMHO too [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

'Twas a bit of a wind up Mike [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    "I can't see why people like putting the other type down"

Cos everyone knows just how "sensitive" you lot are and even worse are the owners of Seali...........Oops [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oi!! Watch it, or the Sealine owners club will be paying you a visit!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Elessar is offline Registered User

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And a bit like the SC drives "cranked neck" when he's reversing into a wind blow stern too gap, trying to look back whilst his body faces front to turn the wheel and move the gears at the same time.

Anyway I'm a shortarse so I dont have to stoop for the gears on my flybridge and I dont have to touch the wheel anyway so there :~)

[ QUOTE ]
    And a bit like the SC drives "cranked neck" when he's reversing into a wind blow stern too gap, trying to look back whilst his body faces front to turn the wheel and move the gears at the same time.

Anyway I'm a shortarse so I dont have to stoop for the gears on my flybridge and I dont have to touch the wheel anyway so there :~)

[/ QUOTE ]

Love it!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]