Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    stefan is offline Registered User

Default First trip this season and one engine exploded

I had just thought how nice and reliable my old diesels are and was about to reach my home port after a 4 hr. trip from winter storage when it happened. Lost revs on SB engine and shortly after the alarm sounded. I was on the fly so no gauges. I quickly shut down the engine and went to check. [--word removed--], oil and metal pieces all over the engine room. During the trip I went down several times and checked the gauges and also took a look into the engine room, and all seemed fine. After limping to port a closer investigation showed that piston nr 6 seems to have disintegrated and there is a fist size hole in the side of the engine block. - Earlier this spring I watched a guy fitting exhaust temperature alarm, and wondered to myself if they are worthwile. - Well, now I know. - So, I need a TAMD 122 block or complete engine. The one to be replaced/repaired is a 1989 TAMD A/C with 458 hp. This type was in production a short time before the 480 hp version came. I am interested in finding a 122 C series block or a complete engine. I would also consider two engines if you have 480 hps for sale. - I'm grateful for any tip as to where I could find salvation, anywhere in Europe.
    Stefan

jfm is offline Registered User

Default Re: First trip this season and one engine exploded

Blimey Stefan. Can't help, but I wish you much luck with the project.

Yeah exhaust temp alarms are necessary to tell you about cooling problems on the raw water side - is that what you think caused the busting?

mikef is online now Registered User

[--word removed--], that's really bad luck. Any chance of getting your insurance to pay up, say if it was caused by an overheat due to debris in the seawater intake?

Worth a phone call that
    See the rainbow not the rain

I have TAMD122D's in my Princess 560 (gulp).

I hear that there is a company in UK who get hold of engines they are called "Coastal Rides" (Google em) worth a try . Good luck

Its known in the motor trade as "Throwing a Rod".

Where the con rod goes through the block.

Not fair, first trip of the season as well.
    "Is it me?"

Its actually known as "throwing a leg out of bed" bad luck m8
    I spent 90% of my money on woman and drink. The rest I wasted.

Naa, after cooling down myself I concluded that the heating came after. The rod looks to be in place, I think the piston is where it started. - We switched to green diesel from heating oil as boating fuel last year, like you I suppose. My gut feeling is that the lubricating ability of green diesel isn't enough for old diesels. When I checked the engines when under way I noticed a slight mist coming from the crankcase breather filters, of both engines but I regared it as normal when all else looked good.

The mist would be blow by, ie the compression on that cylinder blowing past the piston and rings and entering the crankcase and sump. Would be interested to hear how many hours the engines have done.

Running on heating oil is not good for diesels, it doesnt have the same lubrication as normal diesel that may be your problem and have caused high temp in the combustion area of the block, heads and pistons.

Try internet maybe an old fishing boat 122 engine would be the answer, try French marine on the uk east coast, coastal rides may have one though I dont recomend them.

Only 2100 hrs. and never missed a beat so far.

Well, until last year all marine diesels in Finland were running on taxfree fuel and I have always thought it to be the same as heating oil, but maybe I'm wrong. - I know that new high pressure diesels doesn't like that fuel but in the past all run on it.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try everything.