ianc1200 is online now Registered User

Default Out of hours power

Was out with the (Henley) Eyot Canoe Club tonight, Sonning/St Patricks Stream/River Loddon/Hennerton Backwater etc. Me and another shot through the small weir at Marsh, the other four decided to work the lock. Somehow they managed to trip the system such that none of the power buttons worked.

What do you do in that situation? Is there a way to get the winding mechanism to engage? Other than knock on the Lock Keeper's door (this was 9:30pm so wouldn't be popular) what should you do?
    We got the Canadian & the kayaks out & walked them round which would have been a better option to begin with, but if you had had your cruiser in there, or anybody else trying to use Marsh tonight, I can't see what they could do.

IanC

Default Re: Out of hours power

Possibly what happened is what happened to me at Culham last weekend, if you say stop the sequence by closing the sluices it restarts its full timed filling or emptying sequence regardless of the state of the lock. So if you have a green flashing "open sluices" light you can do nothing until it goes solid regardless of the state of the lock, this is 25minutes in the case of Culham which is long enough to make you think the system has failed. especialy when the lock had filled 10 minutes ago. There are no sensors to tell the system if the lock is full or empty so it can only repeat its sequence to play safe every time you reset it, very frustrating [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ianc1200 is online now Registered User

To answer my own question; spoke to the Marsh lock keeper about this yesterday. You need to telephone the out of hours emergency number on the control panel, and they will telephone the lock keeper. They are not supposed to respond without a request from from the out of hours person.
    The winding wheel will not work when the power is on, which is a pity as the ability to turn off the power would resolve such a problem.
    He said he has had similar problems himself.

IanC

Brayman is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    To answer my own question; spoke to the Marsh lock keeper about this yesterday. You need to telephone the out of hours emergency number on the control panel, and they will telephone the lock keeper. They are not supposed to respond without a request from from the out of hours person.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems fair enough, they don't want everybody knocking on their door.

At Mapledurham last Friday lunchtime we were filling the lock when al the lights went out so we couldn't open the gates. Eventually we were able to close the sluices then open them again and the lights stayed on to let us open the gate. It appears the software is still a bit flaky.

boatone is offline Registered User

We locked thru Hambleden out of hours for the first time last weekend. I must say the electric control panels are really splendid - bit like being on the bridge of the starship Enterprise !

Not difficult and quite automated but the instructions do require a little careful consideration and one would have thought it might be a good idea if the 'staff only' section was hidden from view with a cover or something when OOP is operational. Meant to take a pic but forgot - maybe someone already has one?
    Care about MotorBoating on the Thames? - www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

Brayman is offline Registered User

who would want a picture of you operating the lock?

[ QUOTE ]
    who would want a picture of you operating the lock?

[/ QUOTE ]There is a market for everything......however, I was referring to the control panel [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Isn't Hambledon different to most of the other locks, it has a different pedastal to the ones that have been causing the problems.

Yes, very different.