Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Around Britain: Part 8

[ QUOTE ]
    I dropped my camera from the mast head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind the camera what did you do about the spoon? I need to know! Has anyone ever survived such a critical equipment loss at sea?
    If having fun was easy or cheap ... wouldn't everyone be doing it?

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dropped my camera from the mast head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind the camera what did you do about the spoon? I need to know! Has anyone ever survived such a critical equipment loss at sea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have covered that in more detail. I've been reading the excellent book "storm tactics" recently, but there is no material I could find with a detailed analysis of such severe cutlery loss as I encountered.

I will document my experience here, in the hope that other may be aided should it happen to them.

After the initial realisation that the spoon was gone, I have to admit that I was struck with panic. One can prepare for the extremes of the sea for a lifetime. but until something like this actually happens, I don't believe you can know how you will react. I knew I had to deal with the situation quickly since my sedimented brew was fast become void of heat.

I set about trying to jury rig a spoon, and a first look around the boat lead me to my drogue chute. Realising I wasn't thinking clearly, I dived into the galley locker and pulled out a sponge. I thought that if I soaked up the coffee into the sponge, then rinsed it out back into the cup, this would serve to mix the fluids. I would have probably worked, but I worried that that coffee may become dangerously tepid in the process.

Finally, a moment of clarity struck me. The knife! I could use a butter knife to skull the coffee into a fully dissolved mixture. It worked, and so I then finally felt relaxed enough to close the safety flap on the DSC mayday button.

I have since bought a new spoon, but I would strongly suggest that any person going to sea, should make sure they carry a spare spoon onboard. I hope you never suffer the fear of being forced to use it, but it's foolish to sail without a backup, just in case.
    http://onkudu.com 4 years living on a 21ft boat. 1 month on a 32ft.

Chrusty1 Guest

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    I set about trying to jury rig a spoon, and a first look around the boat lead me to my drogue chute. Realising I wasn't thinking clearly, I dived into the galley locker and pulled out a sponge. I thought that if I soaked up the coffee into the sponge, then rinsed it out back into the cup, this would serve to mix the fluids. I would have probably worked, but I worried that that coffee may become dangerously tepid in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]
    mmmmmmmm, a solo sailor ..................... Donald Crowhurst ............ mmmmmmmmm
    Life is just far far too short.
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/pipedreamii/

Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

[ QUOTE ]

I have since bought a new spoon, but I would strongly suggest that any person going to sea, should make sure they carry a spare spoon onboard. I hope you never suffer the fear of being forced to use it, but it's foolish to sail without a backup, just in case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put it on a lanyard round your neck or add it to the bling? Just watch out for burns after use [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You could cut a hole in too to tie it to the lanyard.... the big scoop shaped bit is easiest to drill into..... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Once back in the Irish sea Nathan you will find that the spoon becomes surplus to requirements. The short choppy seas as you beat to windward soon evenly distributes the contents of your mug, though not neccessarily in the mug.
    Motor sailors do it in a http://www.swinranger.co.uk

Nathan is in the Southern North Sea the King of all the short chops [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    I may be wrong but not always

I've only just discovered your video diary.

Excellent work, nice to have a down to earth account with all embarasing moments which we all do rather than a perfectly executed sail with the bad bits edited. I will have to try a bit of trance music on my next long passage, I can see it goes well.

Kind regards

Matt

[ QUOTE ]
    I will have to try a bit of trance music on my next long passage, I can see it goes well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Matt, I appreciate that, but I must offer warning on the trance music. The stuff on my videos is 90% home grown and rolled by my own fingers. Off the shelf "dance" doesn't work over videos. The kicks are too prominent.

I only put those tracks on since they are obviously royalty free, unless I sue myself, and I think I only got away with it by the skin of my teeth, if at all. I'd take a leaf out of Dylan Winter's book, and go with that style of music. It suits sailing much, much better.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    http://onkudu.com 4 years living on a 21ft boat. 1 month on a 32ft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12