Default safety rails /lines

Does anyone think that its acceptable to man handle a boat along side the quay using staunchions and/or safety lines, to the extent that they are bent out of shape (are they supposed to be able to take this sort of use?)

Is it OK for yard workers to wear black rubber soled, diesel encrusted boots whilst working on fibreglass and wood decks? what "steps" ( not on my boat please) can be taken to prevent such "damage" when a boat is being lifted out? OK photos before and after, to aid a possible claim but should this be necessary. is there a method statement in existance that applies to boat lifting etc I bet there is one for Health and Safety?

A while ago I mentioned to an engineer that he had walked my bildge contents down my deck and his reply was "its from your bilge so whats the problem". I am sure that most marinas care but some individuals dont! does your marina have a boat handling, method statement! I would be interested to know if they do and if the staff know of its existance and adhere to it? does it allow for safety rails to be "swung on" and black soled boots worn?

Default Re: safety rails /lines

Not acceptable behaviour at all.

Many moons ago there was an account on here of legendary poster tcm going postal with the french douaniers who boarded his Leopard 23M wearing black soled boots. Now that takes nerve...

Name n Shame!

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone think that its acceptable to man handle a boat along side the quay using staunchions and/or safety lines, to the extent that they are bent out of shape (are they supposed to be able to take this sort of use?)

[/ QUOTE ]

My little boat can be man handled easily without a care in the world.... & a heavy boat can be man handled but with care, I have experience of man handling boats and with experience you just know the weight/pressure you can apply to a stanchion before there is any risk of it being bent! Anyone who applies such weight to bend a stanchion has no place moving a boat! Correct way of walking a boat along a quay would be by its warps IMHO anyway, so long as there were mooring posts in suitable places.. can you make a stanchion take the weight of a 20tonne boat... possibly, but it would be a hell of a size! :0

[ QUOTE ]

Is it OK for yard workers to wear black rubber soled, diesel encrusted boots whilst working on fibreglass and wood decks? ........

[/ QUOTE ]

My little boat's engine was serviced by an engineer over the winter, I was also working on the boat, but the engineer removed his shoes every time he needed to clamber aboard. Not sure I would have used him again if he had trodden yard grit all over the cockpit and cabin...
    [ QUOTE ]

A while ago I mentioned to an engineer that he had walked my bildge contents down my deck and his reply was "its from your bilge so whats the problem". I am sure that most marinas care but some individuals dont! does your marina have a boat handling, method statement! I would be interested to know if they do and if the staff know of its existance and adhere to it? does it allow for safety rails to be "swung on" and black soled boots worn?

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea! The yard guys at Hythe seem caring enough...not sure they would take their boots off though! But boat movements handled by harbour office and all wear suitable boat shoes and I would trust them to move any boat of mine without causing damage. If they have a duty of care statement I have not seen such a thing. But I think the marine industry is a bit like that, you get great engineers that care, and you get others that do not seem to be aware that they are walking all over your pride and joy....

...but sounds like you have had a nasty experience, pray tell us more.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]