Liz_I is offline Registered User

Default Don\'t make plans!!!

Well that was a short holiday wasn't it!!!

P.Nap to Menorca. (Life's a reach & then you gybe)

Everything was going rather too well, managed to get half way before the engine started playing up. (No wind at all) every minute or two the revs would drop before recovering and occassionally stopping altogether.

Initially we thought we'd got something round the prop. After 2 1/2 hours rolling like a pig waiting for dawn to arrive, one very brave soul swam under the boat, de nada [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Slight southerly wind, so decided to turn round and head back. Actually had a lovely sail, saw 2 sperm whales & a 20 min display courtesy of a pod of striped dolphins.

Then picked up a strong wind warning NW'ly decided to use the engine and run it at 1000 rpm, it was still fading but didn't cut out. Anyway we got back and here we start...... Very, very depressing. Hopefully if we can get it sorted we'll set off again.
    When the love of power becomes the power of love then there will be peace in the world.

Default Re: Don\'t make plans!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Very, very depressing. Hopefully if we can get it sorted we'll set off again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very impressive in my book! Everyone safe and no burden on the CG. Good call. Hope you gave the diver extra rations?
    If having fun was easy or cheap ... wouldn't everyone be doing it?

We are planning to sail Mallorca -> Menorca next week. Curious to know where you started. Where is "P. Nap"?

TudorSailor
    I have contributed to the Cruisers' Wiki. Have you?

Port Napoleon. Where the River Rhone enters the Mediterranean Sea. Appx 25 miles west of Marseille.

Have a good trip. If you find yourself in Porto Colom say Hi to Largyalo. Wharram Catamaran (German) you can't miss her. We were meant to have met up with them in Mahon. (sob!)
    When the love of power becomes the power of love then there will be peace in the world.

Refueler is offline Registered User

I had planned out a 3 week anti-clockwise cruise of Baltic ... starting July 15.

Couple of days ago rec'd Court Summons to appear as witness to the knife attack on my wife .... Court date set as July 21.

PaulJS is offline Registered User

You might want to check your fuel system, sounds as though one of the filters may be choked, or you're sucking air in somewhere.
    Good luck, hope you get everything sorted.
    I knew it was time to suspend the sailing lesson when the forked lightning hit the Loch surface!!

Would agree and have already started on the road! Whilst we were underway the filters were checked, air filter cleaned (again although not dirty), new lift pump fitted. clean diesel from a can was used to by-pass the tank and piping to the lift pump. All with the same result... Next it'll probably be the injector pump although highly unlikely for that to be at fault.
    Anyone know if it's likely to be something with the exhaust? The drop in revs was pretty regular. Anyway worse things happen at sea! Must be getting my soh back [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Refueler, sorry about your cruise. Let's hope justice is done and you & your wife will be able to get on with your lives. Our thoughts are with you.

Refueler is offline Registered User

Many thanks for your thoughts .... cruise is not so important as getting him locked up and not able to do it to another.

As another says seems you have fuel starvation or you mention exhaust - it could happen if exhaust system is seriously near blocked and its pressurising up - particularly if cooling water also is involved. Not unknown for exhaust hose to be a two layer rubber with lacing sandwich ... the inner layer breaking down and folding ... just a thought.

Shanty is offline Registered User

Had something very similar on a petrol engine with a dry exhaust many years ago. It would run for a minute or so at full revs, before dropping to near idle, and then recovering.

After stripping and checking just about everything else, I checked the exhaust. It was almost completely blocked. Once I had removed the mixture of tar and carbon (no fun), everything was back to normal.

As has been suggested, you may have an exhaust hose delaminating.

[ QUOTE ]
    As has been suggested, you may have an exhaust hose delaminating.

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely the exhaust elbow gunked up, (if there is one?)?
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!