Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sterndrive stuck in reverse

After a 50 minute cruise to Runswick Bay dropped the hook and engaged reverse to set the anchor and then couldn't get the starboard control lever back into neutral. Couldn't see anything obvious at the control lever end so assume the problem lies at the sterndrive. Limped back on one engine and booked a lift out for Tuesday. Any sterndrive guru's able to offer advise on where to start looking?

Eddie

Default Re: Sterndrive stuck in reverse

Further detail i.e. boat, engines, legs ,age etc may help for replies?

Yep, silly me.
    1993 T35 with KAD 42's and DP-D's

Eddie

We had the same problem years ago on our old boat, single engine of course so had to reverse for about 3 miles down the loch [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

It turned out to be a simple, cheap fix so hopefully you have the same problem.

On the front of the outdrive there is a cover, clips in at the top and held in by a pozi screw at the bottom (hopefully yours is the same). Remove this cover and inside you should see two ends of the gear linkage held together with a pin held in by a split pin (or not anymore). -See badly drawn diagram- On our old boat the split pin wasn't stainless so had rusted away letting the main pin fall out, therefore getting it stuck in reverse. It turned out to be a simple job of replacing the split pin, didn't even need a lift out, just stand in shallow water or be careful in the dinghy.

Ah, I'm hoping it is going to be as simple as that.

Thanks

Eddie

Agree that linkage as said or perhaps cable broken most likely. Fairly simple fix.

It could also be that the shift cones in the upper unit have jammed together, especially if when you changed into reverse, you still had some forward way on. It's simple enough to separate them, but needs a lift out if this is what has happened.

dv.

Ok, thanks for the replies - lift out tomorrow morning and investigation starts!

Eddie

Same boat & engines with similar problem when we bought it. Turned out to be the cones - apparantly you can use metal shims to adjust and the previous (*!!?*) owner had used some plastic things from somewhere!!

Had a day in the boatyard and sure enough it wasn't going to be the simple option.

Cone clutch stuck in the reverse gear receptor.

components on the work bench

and after a light tap with a hammer!

Anyone know why they should get stuck in the first place? Is it a sign of worn cone?
    I'm reluctant to just re-assemble as it might just happen again, so for the sake of 300 I think I'll order a new cone & selector shoe or sliding sleeve and sliding shoe as volvo call them.

Just love being up to my armpits in oil [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast