Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Photos: Antarctic cruise, lots of luvly pics

Photos of trip to Antarctica earlier this year - online now, follow the link:

http://www.petersmith.net.nz/photos/antarctica-1.php

We took Kiwi Roa down from Chile to the South Shetlands and most of the reachable spots on the Antarctic Peninsula.

Lots of snow, ice, rock, and yes penguins.

There are also a few pics of the Drake Passage down and back, plus a few rounding Cape Horn on the return leg. Enjoy.

Default Re: Photos: Antarctic cruise, lots of luvly pics

Only got to page 5 so far, but this is awesome. Must have been a fantastic experience, thanks for posting it.

Quite superb. Well done.

Iota Guest

wonderful trip and photographs, thanks for posting it

jenku is offline Registered User

Brilliant report and trip. But was it sponsored by Rocna or not? ;-)

Thanks for the photos!

Apologies for the poor maps; but there are 6 of us mapping an area several times the size of the UK!

Did you find the http://www.add.scar.org ? Although not a charting resource it contains the most accurate coastline for the Antarctic Peninsula. However, as with all Antarctic mapping, use it with caution!

Thanks for the photos!

Apologies for the poor maps; but there are 6 of us mapping an area several times the size of the UK!

Did you find the http://www.add.scar.org ? Although not a charting resource it contains the most accurate coastline for the Antarctic Peninsula. However, as with all Antarctic mapping, use it with caution!
    Hey, the charts we had were adequate for basic navigation (+ radar, constant watches, and some very careful eyeballing), but there is still massive swathes of unsurveyed waters. The water is clean but not clear as you might imagine, on account of the glacial water which makes the upper layer milky and difficult to spot morraine and rocks.

For the little detail, we had no source other than other yachts. The bigger operators aren't interested in where you can moor a small yacht; the priority is for ships.
    Last edited by craigsmith; 17-07-09 at 15:37.

Fabulous! Thank you for that! I like the way you found Puerto Toro to be a 'town' after Antarctica; I remember just half a dozen houses, home to two families! Did you come across Jean Monzo aboard Le Boulard in your travels?
    ad damnum pecuniae per navis

Fabulous! Thank you for that! I like the way you found Puerto Toro to be a 'town' after Antarctica; I remember just half a dozen houses, home to two families! Did you come across Jean Monzo aboard Le Boulard in your travels?
    Yes, Boulard was with us in Ushuaia and also Puerto Toro for a night in fact and left for the Drake with us at the same time, with a pile of charter guests crammed onboard. Jean doesn't speak much English though, and my French is rudimentary and Peter's is nonexistent... so can't say we know him too well.
    Last edited by craigsmith; 17-07-09 at 15:37.

Lee_Shaw is offline Registered User

Fantastic, thankyou. Have you got any info about the boat? She looks a beauty.

I have to admit to always loving to read about the boats that people take on challenges, and what mods and specifications, rigs etc. I just love that sort of stuff.